News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways buckling in heat

Started by golden eagle, August 03, 2010, 11:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

With temps in the triple digits, U.S. 49 south of Jackson starting buckling today. Are there any other states having a problem with this?

US71

MoDOT is having problems with some of their roadwork because it's too hot to lay asphalt (doesn't set-up right).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

deathtopumpkins

Backin July when it was well into the 100s here I heard of a few roads doing this on the news, and I remember a stretch of US 258 with concrete pavement here in Hampton totally buckled.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

golden eagle

You'd think that with the way summers are in the south that DOTs across the region would do away with concrete roads. Our DOT used concrete when they constructed the Stack interchange (I-20, I-55 & US 49).

BigMattFromTexas

Hahaha. Well into the hundreds like 104°, haha. I was running my @$$ off in 100° weather. But on topic, here, who knows maybe our asphalt is more used to heat, haha. But at intersections there are places that the asphalt is buckling, due to heavy traffic in our 106° summer days.
BigMatt

US71

Quote from: golden eagle on August 04, 2010, 04:39:47 PM
You'd think that with the way summers are in the south that DOTs across the region would do away with concrete roads. Our DOT used concrete when they constructed the Stack interchange (I-20, I-55 & US 49).

Concrete costs more, but supposedly has a longer life than asphalt.

agentsteel53

Quote from: US71 on August 04, 2010, 06:38:39 PM

Concrete costs more, but supposedly has a longer life than asphalt.

it does.  I've driven on concrete from 1913 that is in perfectly good condition.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

On I-84 in CT, there is cement pavement from 1973 by Exits 21-23 and it is still pretty much ok.  But asphalt from 7 years agois bumpy and crumbling.  But, CT and most northeast states paved over their cement freeways with asphalt in the 70s & 80s. Why!?!??!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

JREwing78

I-90 and the Beltline (US-12/14/18/151) around Madison have had quite a bit of trouble with buckling highways this summer. It's been a pretty toasty one.

bugo

Lots of asphalt roads have concrete underneath.  Instead of properly repaving the roads with concrete, they just throw a layer of asphalt on top.  The telltale concrete cracks can often be seen when the asphalt starts wearing down.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 04, 2010, 07:13:47 PMit does.  I've driven on concrete from 1913 that is in perfectly good condition.

This.  Try driving on an asphalt road that's not been redone in 20 years, much less 40.  Report back if your car is still in one piece.

Also, what bugo says.  If they're going to use asphalt, they need to rip out the concrete underneath and redo it with just asphalt.  -OR- do what PA does now days, mark where the joints are and cut the asphalt to match.  Seems to add some lifespan to the overlay in regards to reflective cracking.

Quote from: doofy103 on August 04, 2010, 08:16:42 PMOn I-84 in CT, there is cement pavement from 1973 by Exits 21-23 and it is still pretty much ok.  But asphalt from 7 years agois bumpy and crumbling.  But, CT and most northeast states paved over their cement freeways with asphalt in the 70s & 80s. Why!?!??!

Two words: asphalt lobby.  Also, some northeast states never used concrete for their freeways.  See: VT, NH
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

US71

Quote from: bugo on August 05, 2010, 03:41:48 AM
Lots of asphalt roads have concrete underneath.  Instead of properly repaving the roads with concrete, they just throw a layer of asphalt on top.  The telltale concrete cracks can often be seen when the asphalt starts wearing down.

The Mike Huckabee Interstate System! ;)

PAHighways

Quote from: golden eagle on August 03, 2010, 11:13:45 PMWith temps in the triple digits, U.S. 49 south of Jackson starting buckling today. Are there any other states having a problem with this?

Philadelphia seems to always have buckling roads during severe heat waves, including the recent one where a section of the US 1/Media Bypass buckled.

UptownRoadGeek

Street buckling is normal in the summertime around here.

74/171FAN

VA 288 always seems to have this problem in the summer but I've haven't heard much anything this year
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hm insulators

Interestingly, I've never heard of streets and highways in Arizona buckling because of the heat! Is it because the concrete or asphalt used in this state a more heat-resistant variety? Many of the Phoenix-area freeways are concrete overlaid with rubberized asphalt.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Brandon

Quote from: hm insulators on August 11, 2010, 04:27:32 PM
Interestingly, I've never heard of streets and highways in Arizona buckling because of the heat! Is it because the concrete or asphalt used in this state a more heat-resistant variety? Many of the Phoenix-area freeways are concrete overlaid with rubberized asphalt.

Do you have sub-freezing weather in Phoenix?  That's why we have buckling and cracking in Chicagoland.  The roads here have to stand up to both 100 degree heat in the summer (with the humidity as well) as well as 0 degree cold in the winter while being coated in salt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

6a

I went up to Fairbanks, AK in '06 and they had some wicked 80-degree temps that caused frost heaves that were a blast to drive on (in a rental)  :sombrero:

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 06, 2010, 02:21:29 PM
VA 288 always seems to have this problem in the summer but I've haven't heard much anything this year

Most of the "issues" with VA 288 this year seem to be with potholes and the patches on them, mostly on the section between VA 76 and I-95. I drove that section earlier this month and it didn't seem too bad - parts of I-95 and I-64 near Richmond are worse.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bickendan

Quote from: Brandonwhile being coated in salt.
I think I found the problem.

Of course, snow in Portland is always an example of Hilarity Ensues.

yakra

Snow in Portland is Situation Normal. 8-)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.