Speed camera looking things at exits from IL rest areas

Started by Crazy Volvo Guy, October 20, 2010, 07:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Volvo Guy

What's that about?  They look almost like a fixed speedcam but not quite, facing the re-entrance ramps when exiting rest areas.  ALPR, perhaps?
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

SSOWorld

ALPR?  What's that?

Probably making sure everyone signals as they enter the freeway. :ded:

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

It might just be a traffic counter. Have you seen if there's one on the ramp to the rest area as well? Maybe it's a system to make sure that cars don't overstay their welcome.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The Premier

Alex P. Dent

I have seen them on the truck weighstations here in Illinois. I always assumed they had something to do with the trucks
I am sure they are not speed cameras.

mgk920

Quote from: 3467 on October 21, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
I have seen them on the truck weighstations here in Illinois. I always assumed they had something to do with the trucks
I am sure they are not speed cameras.

The ones by truck scales are used as part of the PrePass™ system.

Mike

burgess87

On my Buffalo < > Austin roadtrip in January, I saw the PrePass mast arms and I'm like "What the deuce are these things?"  So I looked it up online, thought it was pretty cool, and made some PrePass setups for SimCity.  No picture right now, but there will be one later.

Truvelo

Quote from: mgk920 on October 21, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

Mike

Are those the ones with signs saying something like "Truckers follow in cab instructions"?
Speed limits limit life

mgk920

Quote from: Truvelo on October 22, 2010, 11:46:30 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on October 21, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

Mike

Are those the ones with signs saying something like "Truckers follow in cab instructions"?

Yes.  The PrePass system includes receiver boxes for the cabs of big-rig trucks/lorries.

PrePass even advertises on some overnight radio shows that are popular with OTR drivers.  They have a jingle based on the theme to the TV show Rawhide.

Mike

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.