News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who collects toys/ scale models, ect. ?

Started by Brian556, January 08, 2011, 12:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Do any of y'all collect toy/scale model vehicles, tractors or construction equipment?
I collect tonka and other brands of construction equipment.

BigMattFromTexas

I don't so much of collect them to like look at them, I used to play with them in my garage that was unused, that's actually where I came up with Tyson, TX. I had a big creamish rug, and this road set thing. I'd sometimes get my train set involved too. I had some fun out there..

I also played with farm tractors, as my mom grew up on a farm in Iowa. So I knew/know a lot about farming, and equipment.
BigMatt

Brian556

I also like farm equipment and trains. I have I decent John Deere toy collection from my younger days. Back then, I used to build my own cities with roads, trains, and buildings. They were constructed with wood blocks. The roads were signed. The signs were paper attached to toothpicks.

Duke87

I would say I own about 300 or so matchbox cars, which are sitting in a bin in the attic.
I had plenty of toy trains, too, but save for the Brio (which is also in the attic) they've all since been destroyed, tag saled, or thrown out.

This is all leftover stuff from childhood. The only thing I'm still actively collecting is baseball cards.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ian

I have a ton of matchbox cars sitting in a bin in my basement, some I have salvaged and put as a desk decoration for my room. I never liked hotwheels cars, as they don't look much like the typical cars you'd see on the road. I also have a bin of plastic sitting in the basement, all from different toy sets I got over the years. One thing I always loved doing when I was younger, was to draw a road scene and run the matchbox car on the road.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mightyace

I used to be into model trains (primarily HO) and may again someday.

Lately, I've been collecting NASCAR model cars (1/64 scale primarily) plus ones from the movie Cars.

I have a long term dream with my nearly 3 acre property to run 1/8 scale model trains on it.  (7 1/2" gauge) This is the smallest practical size that you can ride on and have the trains run on the ground.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on January 09, 2011, 07:26:02 PM
I have a ton of matchbox cars sitting in a bin in my basement, some I have salvaged and put as a desk decoration for my room. I never liked hotwheels cars, as they don't look much like the typical cars you'd see on the road. I also have a bin of plastic sitting in the basement, all from different toy sets I got over the years. One thing I always loved doing when I was younger, was to draw a road scene and run the matchbox car on the road.
Back in my day, Hot Wheels and Matchbox both did realistic cars.  The difference is that Matchbox had already converted to cheap plastic, while Hot Wheels still did die cast metal on into the 90s.  They started to do custom designs and go to all plastic in the mid 90s, at which point I really stopped collecting model cars.  I have hundreds, though.

Scott5114

I had a lot of Hot Wheels cars as a kid. I found out when I was around 10 that the wide masking tape rolls my mom kept around were just a hair over two Hot Wheels cars wide. So I was always stealing her tape and making roads out of it. She usually didn't like that, so she'd give me narrower (and cheaper) tape to futz around with, but I had to double up on it to get the proper width.

One time we had a large sheet of cardboard that I stuck the tape down to and kept as a city for a while. I managed to even build a freeway (I-31) through the town, using cardboard for overpasses and creating some gantries out of toothpicks.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hm insulators

When I was a little boy, I used to draw roads and highways on the driveway with chalk and then run my Matchbox cars on them. I would draw signs and even telephone poles along the roads.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

cjk374

I used to have a model train layout up n running (HO scale) until "Hurricane Daniel" struck the layout TWICE (Daniel is my son) :-D.  I put the layout away, turned the "train room" into a walk-in closet (at the request of the now ex-wife  :banghead:), and now Daniel wants me to get the layout going again (he is now age 12...he was 2 when the "hurricane" struck).  When I get a new place to live, I'll build another layout then.   :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

PAHighways

I just blogged about a series of slot car sets that TYCO used to manufacture in the 1980s called "US 1 Electric Trucking."

BigMattFromTexas

Anyone else get those little semi's? I would use those and line my interstates with them, sense the interstate has a LOT of truck traffic..
BigMatt

OracleUsr

I'm in the process of building an HO-scale railroad, called "White Creek Pass," using my last name (White)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

ctsignguy

N scale railroading (no home layout...i do the N-Track thing), and older board games and unique decks of playing cards
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

cjk374

I had the US 1 Trucking set.  I had the airport, gravel hopper/ dump set, and the culvert pipe loader/dump bin. I had lots of fun with that.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

myosh_tino

Quote from: PAHighways on March 15, 2011, 07:48:15 PM
I just blogged about a series of slot car sets that TYCO used to manufacture in the 1980s called "US 1 Electric Trucking."
Wow, that brought back some memories.  I actually had one of these sets when I was a kid and there were a ton of fun but required alot of space to set-up.  I recall that the set included plastic sign bridges and adhesive guide signs for the various freight depots.  Tons of fun.  Those were the days!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.