News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NE71,: Kimball Nebraska bypass

Started by yakra, July 07, 2011, 02:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

The NE71 Kimball Bypass is open and now visible in OSM. Anyone familiar with the area know if there's a NE71 Business on the old route?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

corco

Whoa...already? Gosh...it's really been 9 months since I was in Nebraska last.

I highly doubt it- Nebraska has been moving away from business routes lately.

I guess that means Link 53E is gone.

yakra

That's what I was thinking too. I didn't see much of any anywhere in the state - I'm only aware of a couple 2Bus loops, in Nebraska City and Grand Island. It's worth noting there's no NE71Bus in Scottsbluff/Gering either.
1m7s -- now that's a quick reply! :D
I bet L53E is still there, only shorter - new 71 is grade separated from US30 with no direct access. What's left of L53E makes the connection. It's been gussied up a bit at the south end, just before its connection to NE71, with a new roundabout. You can see it in Bing's aerial imagery.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

corco

Besides those two I can only think of one- 6 business in Hastings,  but I'm not sure if that's actually signed along the loop. 80 business in Sidney has been greened out. They're all locally maintained anyway, so they aren't really part of the system.

The 71 business loop in Scottsbluff was dropped when they opened the new Scottsbluff bypass (turning old mainline 71 into 79H and local roads, dropping the loop through downtown Scottsbluff).

It's possible that the old route will be preserved as a link highway, but doubtful since Nebraska has a mileage cap.

yakra

Whoops -- US6Bus, yes... I was just thinking of state highways. :coffee:
My Yankee Crystal Ball also makes me think it'll just be unnumbered road.
A quick peek at GMSV reveals an I-80BL sign at the end of the WB offramp for Pine Bluffs.

corco

QuoteA quick peek at GMSV reveals an I-80BL sign at the end of the WB offramp for Pine Bluffs.

I consider that one of Wyoming's loops, especially since it's entirely concurrent with other state maintained highways (53B, US-30)- they just had to throw up some green signs for continuity's sake. I bet they disappear at some point, but no sense in taking them down.

huskeroadgeek

There are also some signs for US 30 Business and US 275 Business in Fremont, but neither would be very easy to follow if you didn't already know the route.

agentsteel53

Nebraska City's Business NE-2 and Business US-75 are alive and well and easily followed, as of last weekend.

the downtown segments feature the older style markers with single "Business 75" and "Business 2" shields, as opposed to the newer kind with separate banners above standard shields.  \

I think the shields all date back to 1984, when the new bypass 2 was built (at least, that is when the bridge from Iowa was built). 

no idea where else one may find business loops in Nebraska.  75/2 is the only one I can think of offhand.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 07, 2011, 02:00:26 PM

I think the shields all date back to 1984, when the new bypass 2 was built (at least, that is when the bridge from Iowa was built). 

The current bridge was built in 1984, but the bypass from NE 2 west of Nebraska City to US 75 south of the city wasn't finished until several years later. In the interim, NE 2 followed the current Business NE 2 route to the junction with the current Business US 75, and then followed Business US 75 south to where it turned east at the current bypass. I think the last portion of the bypass for US 75 north of NE 2 wasn't finished until several years after the rest of the bypass, so I don't think the business routes were established until sometime in the early or mid 90s.

yakra

There still seems to be a bit of signage for US20Bus in South Sioux City too.
That covers everything I know of, mentioned in this thread: The I-80BL for Pine Bluffs WY, the two NE2Bus loops (Grand Island & Nebraska City) and these US bannered routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.