News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Text speak on VMS

Started by Scott5114, October 04, 2011, 08:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

On the way to work I saw a portable VMS that had the following text on the first slide:

I-35 NB
RAMP 2 B
CLOSED

The second slide had the date and time of the closure. I misinterpreted it, thinking it was referring to a "Ramp 2B", like an Exit 2B (thinking the space was because of the new MUTCD requirement) and wondering where it was. By the time I realized "2 B" meant "to be", it was too late for me to note the date and time.

Have you seen your DOT pull this boneheaded move? Do you think the MUTCD should ban it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

realjd

Boneheaded? They were able to get the message across given the limited character space. How would you have written it?

deathtopumpkins

I would have abbreviated "RAMP" to "RMP" in order to fit in "TO B" or even "TOBE" as opposed to "2 B".
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

twinsfan87

Maybe change it to say:

I-35 NB
EXIT XX
CLOSED

(second panel with date and time)

Similar messages are used in Minnesota, and I think they get the point across without using "text speak".

Michael in Philly

or "RAMP TO CLOSE."  I would have understood the "2 B" (unless I pondered that space) the same way Scott did.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Dr Frankenstein

I would also have misinterpreted the "2 B". It's not something I would encourage.

Scott5114

In this particular case it was on WB SH-9 approaching I-35. The interchange in question is a trumpet, the NB ramp mentioned is the straight-line onramp to I-35 NB.

I would have just said "I-35 NB / ONRAMP / CLOSED" or something. Or add a third slide: "WORK BEGINNING SOON / I-35 NB ONRAMP CLOSED / (date and time)"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

twinsfan87

So it could maybe read something like this:

1st slide:
RAMP TO
I-35 NB
CLOSED

(date and time second slide)

3rd slide:
USE ALT
ROUTE

The third slide is also widely used in MN. Sometimes Mn/DOT will put up an orange sign with the closure info instead of the variable message sign too, although lately I've seen more VMSs being used than orange signs.

Brandon

I thought the "RAMP 2 B" was "Exit 2B"  Texting does not translate well to VMSs.

I-35 NBD
RAMP TO
CLOSE

Then the next slide with:

10/4/11
FOLLOW
DETOUR
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadfro

It's certainly not an MUTCD approved abbreviation scheme.

It's much simpler to say

I-35 NB
RAMP
CLOSED

10/4/11
10:00PM-
5:00AM
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

codyg1985

I would have said something like this:

I-35 NB
RAMP TO
CLOSE

10/4/11
10:00PM-
5:00AM
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

1995hoo

I don't understand text-message speak on the Internet (and it annoys me when people use it where it's not needed, like in an online forum). I'd hate to see it on a road sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ace10

Oh, I'd be infuriated if that happened. I, too, would think Exit 2B as well, but I've also seen signs at some interchanges that mention Ramp 1, Ramp 2, or Ramp A, Ramp B. I just think this would have led to more confusion as to what "2 B" means. Shame on them for not spelling out "to be" or for rewording it to make the message fit.

Mergingtraffic

CT uses:

Route 8 NB
Accident
X35-X36
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

vtk

Quote from: MUTCD section 2L.05 paragraph 09
Guidance:
When the message on a CMS includes an abbreviation, the provisions of Section 1A.15 should be used.

The table in section 1A.15 does not include entries abbreviating the words "to" or "be".

In my opinion, the phrase "RAMP WILL CLOSE" would be marginally better than "RAMP TO BE CLOSED" and incomparably better than "RAMP 2 B CLOSED".  And if you can't fit "RAMP WILL" on a single line in a VMS, then the VMS is poorly designed.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.