News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

US Route Freeways

Started by qguy, November 27, 2011, 08:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

sort of a tangential idea to this post.  I have thought that US highways that are interstate standards (or at the least full freeway) should have a different color shield. Like the old Florida blue shield like US 90 or 92.  Keeps with the interstate blue, but not exactly the same but it would give the motoring public( cheesy saying) an idea of the quality of the road

nds76

I don't like the idea of colored shields like Florida has. It just seems wrong somehow.

Quote from: jwolfer on December 16, 2011, 05:06:32 PM
sort of a tangential idea to this post.  I have thought that US highways that are interstate standards (or at the least full freeway) should have a different color shield. Like the old Florida blue shield like US 90 or 92.  Keeps with the interstate blue, but not exactly the same but it would give the motoring public( cheesy saying) an idea of the quality of the road

Quillz

I had a Fictional Highways topic regarding that. My idea was to invert the color scheme for US routes built to interstate standards: that is, the shield would be white legend on black background.

national highway 1

Quote from: Quillz on December 16, 2011, 11:19:39 PM
I had a Fictional Highways topic regarding that. My idea was to invert the color scheme for US routes built to interstate standards: that is, the shield would be white legend on black background.
Not a bad idea, and also a white on green legend for business US Routes could be handy.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

ctsignguy

In Ohio, US 35 from West Dayton to the West Virginia  border is now pretty much all freeway....there had been scuttlebutt over the years about extending the 35 freeway all the way to I-70 at the Indiana line, but that had been as far as it had gotten....and of course much of US 30 is now freeway, rather than surface road

US 23 is also a 4-lane freeway through much of it's stay in Ohio, although it is still peppered with driveways and stoplights at the most inconvenient spots at other 4-lane stretches...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Beltway

That seems like a good idea ... perhaps for state routes as well.

VA-288 around Richmond is built to Interstate standards, and functions like an Interstate belt route.  There is nothing inherent in its route designation that would indicate that it is built to Interstate standards or is even a freeway, though.

The advantage of the Interstate route shield is that it indicates a level of standard, and that is helpful to someone unfamiliar with the route.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

QuoteI had a Fictional Highways topic regarding that. My idea was to invert the color scheme for US routes built to interstate standards: that is, the shield would be white legend on black background.

I had a slightly different thought.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.