News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Streets With Similar Names Within Close Proximity of Each Other

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 05, 2012, 07:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulkyorled

In Montrose CA theres Rosemont Av & Montrose Av that cross (cant find if i mentioned that already) and in Pico Rivera, which i just discovered tonight, there's Beverly Rd just south of Beverly Blvd, both have lights which made it slightly confusing for a second and the Road version goes pretty far too.
Also in Pico Rivera Olympic Blvd reappears a couple times for some reason after the main part of it farts out at Montebello Blvd, Pioneer Blvd also does the same, it keeps popping up. I only think its weird because Boulevards dont usually do that here.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

blawp

Los Angeles has two San Vicente Blvds, both major streets and miles from each other.

kphoger

Wichita has Minneapolis and Minnesota streets close to each other.  One time, one of our cable guys hooked up the right house number on the wrong street.  The lady let him in, hook it all up, and everything.  Then we got an email wondering why his customer hadn't been hooked up yet.  Oops.  So he had to go back, disconnect everything at the wrong house, and do the installation over again.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cenlaroads

In Baton Rouge, North Blvd. and North St. run parallel to each other 5 blocks apart.

bugo

In downtown Tulsa, there is a Kenosha Avenue that parallels the N-S portion of I-444/US 75.  In Broken Arrow, 71st Street is called Kenosha (I don't know why BA doesn't just use the Tulsa names, because east of BA the Tulsa names are used.)  They are probably 20 miles apart but are still a source of confusion.

Also, many parts of Tulsa will have, say, a Lewis Avenue, a Lewis Place, a Lewis Court, etc. all in the same area.  Sometimes these roads will intersect.  Tulsa is generally easy to get around in, but this is confusing.  Another point of confusion is that the east-west streets are numbered, while the north-south streets are named west of Sheridan Road, but they're numbered east of Sheridan.  There is potential for confusion there.

Post Merge: July 12, 2012, 06:19:16 AM

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 07, 2012, 05:04:38 PM
CA-56 westbound has a terrifying next-three-exits sign: Carmel Valley, Carmel Mountain, Carmel Creek.  There are at least three more Carmels in the area, but I try not to think about it.

the words Torrey, Mira, Vista, Sorrento, and Mesa are also badly overused in the same general region of San Diego County, and La Jolla insists on naming everything La Jolla X Drive.

I-540 in Arkansas (Future I-49) has 3 exits in a row for AR 282.  The Bella Vista Bypass will have 2 interchanges in a row for AR 72.  These two interchanges will be very close to each other.

Post Merge: July 12, 2012, 06:19:19 AM

This is a little different, but Texas Loop 323 in Tyler ends at itself.  It begins at US 271 as a 2 lane spur to the loop route, intersects itself at its other terminus, then loops around town.  There is an intersection where you can go 3 different ways and still be on Loop 323.

bulkyorled

Tapo Cyn Rd & Tapo Rd in Simi Valley, CA. Not sure why i didn't think of that one earlier
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

jwolfer

Here in Jacksonville Florida we have Interstate 10 and Florida SR 10.  Although SR10 is the secret number for US90 in most of the state and it runs parallel to I-10, east of Jacksonville US 90 takes Beach Blvd (SR 212) and SR 10 is routed on Atlantic Blvd> Atlantic Blvd is signed as SR 10 but I know many people have no idea of it being SR10.  The 295 Beltway has an exit for I-10 west of the city and SR 10 east of the city.  I have talked to people who assume the SR10 is a sort of SR extension of Interstate 10 (like PA 283 or NY 481)

Road Hog

North out of Dallas runs State Highway 289, also known as Preston Road. For almost its whole length there are derivations of Preston – Prestonwood, Preston Hollow, Preston Meadows, Preston Hills, etc.

venturafwy

Two Mission Blvd exits off I-680 in Fremont CA about 4 miles from each other.

Alps

Just had to give directions to the train station to my out of town aunt. Turns out Oakview and Oakland in Maplewood, NJ are two streets away and parallel. In fact, Oakview begins at Oakland, and then they run parallel. Both come to traffic lights at Valley Rd. and end at Dunnell St. to give access to the train station.

JustDrive

A lot of the numbered avenues and streets south of Sacramento intersect.  For example, 13th Avenue and 13th Street intersect near the Sacto Zoo.

DTComposer

Quote from: venturafwy on July 11, 2012, 06:50:40 PM
Two Mission Blvd exits off I-680 in Fremont CA about 4 miles from each other.

To be specific to the thread, it is the same Mission Blvd at both exits (although it has different route numbers at each exit (262 and 238).

That said, are there other examples of a freeway having two exits for the same road, where that road isn't a frontage or parallel road?

agentsteel53

Quote from: DTComposer on July 13, 2012, 11:27:26 AM

That said, are there other examples of a freeway having two exits for the same road, where that road isn't a frontage or parallel road?

I would imagine many loops have this, but offhand all I can think of are some examples in Phoenix involving Loop 101 and Loop 202.

I'm not even sure if any are technically correct, as - for example - Loop 202 hits W. McKellips Road and E. McKellips road, which are the same street but with a name change.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

JustDrive

CA 210 intersects Base Line (or Baseline, depending on what city you're in) Road twice, about 25 miles apart.

Compulov

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 13, 2012, 12:52:49 PM
I would imagine many loops have this, but offhand all I can think of are some examples in Phoenix involving Loop 101 and Loop 202.

I'm not even sure if any are technically correct, as - for example - Loop 202 hits W. McKellips Road and E. McKellips road, which are the same street but with a name change.

Phoenix popped into my head, too. Loop 101 has interchanges for Bell Road on both sides of the valley, for example. Technically, though, that's not two streets with similar names but two halves of the same road (or at least on the same alignment, as is the case with Thunderbird and Cactus Roads).

Edit:
Quote from: JustDrive on July 13, 2012, 02:28:39 PM
CA 210 intersects Base Line (or Baseline, depending on what city you're in) Road twice, about 25 miles apart.

That actually brings up two roads with similar names... 210 is the Foothill Freeway, and it has an interchange with Foothill Blvd.

CentralCAroadgeek

On the Monterey Peninsula, there's a Del Monte Blvd and a Del Monte Ave. The "Blvd" is in Marina while the "Ave" in in Seaside/Monterey. I guess this is because Highway 1 used to go along the Del Montes before the freeway was built.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: Compulov on July 13, 2012, 02:30:00 PM

That actually brings up two roads with similar names... 210 is the Foothill Freeway, and it has an interchange with Foothill Blvd.

The Foothill Freeway has three Foothill Blvd. interchanges:  Exits 8 (in Pacoima), 21 (La Canada-Flintridge), and 47 (La Verne).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 05, 2012, 07:05:38 PM
Well, I couldn't figure out how to make a shorter title off of this, but the title says it all. These streets cannot be continuations of each other, having to be separate roads. Inspired by the "Doubling Street Names" thread.

In Arlington County, Virginia, we have Va. 120, Glebe Road, which runs N-S - the southern end is at U.S. 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway), the north end is Va. 123 (Chain Bridge Road), just before the bridge over the Potomac River of that same name.  Unlike most other Virginia counties, VDOT only maintains the main streets and roads, including Va. 123.  The "secondary" streets in Arlington County have names but do not carry VDOT route numbers.

As is the case with most streets in this county, everything north of U.S. 50 (Arlington Boulevard) gets a prefix of North, and south of 50 gets a prefix of South.  Yes, U.S. 50 approximately cuts the county in half.

Here's where things get interesting.  Va. 120 (South Glebe Road), between U.S. 1 and I-395, runs almost parallel to the border between Arlington County and the (independent) City of Alexandria - this segment of Va. 120, even though it is posted N-S, runs almost east-west.  And Va. 120 intersects with  another Glebe Road, that being West Glebe Road, which comes across the border (and across Four Mile Run) from Alexandria into Arlington County.  Alexandria's Glebe Road is divided between East and West by Commonwealth Avenue.

So it is possible to drive southbound on South Glebe Road, and turn right on West Glebe Road, which runs south into Alexandria and then quickly turns to the east.  So we have a Glebe Road in Arlington County, which is roughly paralleled by a Glebe Road in the City of Alexandria.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadsguy

At Valley Forge, PA, there's an east-west Valley Forge Road (PA 23), and a north-south one (that crosses the Turnpike) that almost meets the E-W one at a T, but doesn't.

EDIT: The N-S one is PA 252.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

JustDrive

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 13, 2012, 08:45:57 PMThe Foothill Freeway has three Foothill Blvd. interchanges:  Exits 8 (in Pacoima), 21 (La Canada-Flintridge), and 47 (La Verne).

And if you want to get technical, Huntington Drive in Monrovia (exit 33) and 5th Street in Highland (exit 83) are both along the same route as Foothill Blvd.

Mr. Matté

D-Dey65

Quote from: texaskdog on June 07, 2012, 01:34:51 PM
My favorite was when US-10 was rerouted a mile north in Minnesota.  The old hwy was named "county 10".  Nothing like a little confusion there.
I have to show you a pic of "Old CR 54" at Florida State Road 54 in Silver Springs, Florida sometime.

Zmapper

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 28, 2012, 03:43:15 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on June 07, 2012, 01:34:51 PM
My favorite was when US-10 was rerouted a mile north in Minnesota.  The old hwy was named "county 10".  Nothing like a little confusion there.
I have to show you a pic of "Old CR 54" at Florida State Road 54 in Silver Springs, Florida sometime.

US 6 and 6th Avenue overlap west of I-25 to form the 6th Ave Freeway. Granted, they follow the same route west of I-25.

CentralCAroadgeek

In the Vancouver, BC ,there is a Granville Street (BC 99). Just south of Vancouver in Richmond, there is a Granville Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.