News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

US 24 closed at Tennessee Pass due to sinkhole

Started by Zmapper, July 12, 2012, 01:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zmapper

A giant sinkhole that closed a stretch of U.S. 24 north of Leadville on Monday has been determined to be a century-old railroad tunnel that collapsed decades ago and was exposed when the soil thawed.

A variety of engineers, maintenance supervisors and geological experts examined the sinkhole and now estimate its depth to be about 100 feet, according to a Colorado Department of Transportation news release. Much of the soil deep in the collapsed tunnel was still frozen until recently; when it thawed, the hole was exposed.

Read more: U.S. 24 sinkhole near Leadville determined to be old railroad tunnel - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21048162/u-s-24-sinkhole-near-leadville-determined-be#ixzz20NsaaAXI

This isn't looking very good.

NE2

Looks like the east tunnel of the two here: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.36347,-106.31011&z=15&t=T
The one just to the west has been mothballed since 1997, soon after the UP-SP merger.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

qguy

The High Plains Traveler

This has been repaired and completely reopened to traffic within the past few days. i understand it took 50,000 cans of Great Stuff (the expanding foam you spray in cracks around your home) to fix it.

Now, basically the same thing has happened on CO-67 just north of Cripple Creek. In this case, it wasn't a railroad tunnel but rather an old mineshaft. The detour when coming into Cripple Creek from the north isn't as major, since there's a paved county road that takes off north of this point and heads down to Victor where you can then pick up the very south end of 67 into Cripple Creek.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.