News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadgeek References in Unexpected Places

Started by citrus, August 24, 2012, 01:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citrus

Last night, I had dinner at a restaurant in San Francisco (Maverick). Underneath the dessert plate was a card that was very clearly a black-and-white scan of part of the Yellow Book Interstate Highway numbering from 1957. (I recognized it from the typefaces, and the numbers in circles.) The waitress didn't know anything about it.

Where have you found items of roadgeek significance unexpectedly?

AsphaltPlanet

There is a restaurant in Hamilton, ON, that has a stylized mural of the 427 with express and collector lanes on one of their walls.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

huskeroadgeek

This isn't exactly the same type of thing, but several years ago I was at a flea market in Branson, MO and I found some old road maps for sale-not the type of thing I was expecting to find at a flea market. It was just a group of old official free state highway maps and purchased maps together in one package. I would have bought them except I thought the price was too high. They were old maps, but they weren't that old(70s and 80s era) and not really worth the price on them.

kurumi

This is mounted on the wall at the Lime Restaurant on CT 123 in Norwalk:

It's about 6 inches wide, 4 tall, and 2 deep.

The manager believes it was a first-aid kit brought along by engineers or workers in the field.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bulldog1979

I attended a spaghetti dinner fundraiser at the Ottawa Sportsman's Club on M-38 west of Baraga earlier this summer. The clubhouse has 1926-vintage embossed M-28 and M-35 markers on the wall as decoration, with a 1968—70s-vintage flat M-38 cutout marker. What's cool is that the highway the club is on was M-35 until 1968, and it's been M-38 since.

Michael

Wow, I haven't posted since June 4th!  I'd started some posts about a roadtrip I took on July 3rd, but never finished them.  I'll get to it eventually.

Anyway, this is on the front page of Imgur right now, taken about 50 miles away from me:

(Click the picture for the Imgur page)

US71

Pizza by Stout Joplin, MO
(lost 5-22-11)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Central Avenue

These faux freeway signs are on the Backlot Stunt Coaster at Kings Island:

There's another one that has an equally ugly US 101 shield on it, but I couldn't get a picture from a good angle.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

DandyDan

My employer, which is a pharmaceutical distribution center, had an old map of the north central part of the USA hanging on the wall by the shipping restroom once (before they redid everything).  Amongst other things, it showed US 73 going north from Omaha and US 136 and US 275 ending in St. Joe, MO.  I believe it also had some of the pre-1969 Iowa highways on it as well.  I don't remember if they had any interstates on it, even if only they said they were under construction.  I wish I knew what happened to the map, but I believe when the current head honcho came onboard, he got rid of it.  Now that I think of it, they have an old Nebraska highway map (I've never determined if it is a state-issued map or a commercial map) above the drinking fountain there.  I have no idea why they thought it was important to have one there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Brandon

Ugh.  Would it kill them to use the real FHWA font?  Hell, even Clearview is better than Helvetica.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

formulanone

At an International truck repair shop in Arkansas...the attempt at button copy is a nice touch:

agentsteel53

oh god they stretched the buttons into ovals!

ladies and gentlemen, that should prove once and for all that stretching fonts on the computer may be easy, but that doesn't make it right!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

I had to take that photo at an angle; those "buttons" were indeed circles. Of bleeping course the fonts aren't right.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on August 30, 2012, 03:28:12 PM
I had to take that photo at an angle; those "buttons" were indeed circles. Of bleeping course the fonts aren't right.

ah okay; it is a very wide angle shot
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.