News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Shortest Single-Digit State Highway

Started by Road Hog, January 12, 2013, 12:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

Louisiana's arent too short considering most of the single digit hwys are in the hundreds of miles across the state.

LA 3 - 29 miles
LA 5 - 35 miles
LA 6 - 54 miles
LA 9 - 100 miles

ctsignguy

The winner is Ohio 1.......0 miles since 1967
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

huskeroadgeek

Nebraska's would be NE 5, at 11 miles. While it isn't one of the shortest 1 digit state highways in the country, it's probably one of the least important-it goes through no towns(although it does reach the edge of the small town of Deshler at its southern end) and only serves as a connector between NE 4 and US 136.

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on January 12, 2013, 01:23:32 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 12, 2013, 12:54:20 AM
All three of NJ's single digit routes are well shorter than 25, and NJ 5 is just over three miles.

(The shortest in Washington is SR 8 at 20 miles, the rest of the single-digit routes are over 50.)
I did not see this post as I scrolled through this thread.  Anyway if I saw it my post would have been then Ditto to Kacie Jane on NJ 5 being just over 3 miles.

I did though realize that the eastern segment of FL 2 is only 15 miles long.  Although all of FL 2 (both segments) are close to 70 miles in total length.

In PA you have PA 5 that is short to add to Steve's post that he could not think of.
Your reading comprehension woes continue. Read my post. PA 3.

Dr Frankenstein

Québec: 5. The only one.
Ontario: Probably the contemporary 2. Formerly 834.6 kilometres (518.6 miles), successively decommissioned into its current form at approximately a sad 700 metres. Yes, METRES. Two fifths of a mile.

BrianP

Rover_0

No one mentioned UT-8? Barely a mile long (1.303 per Wikipedia), though I can see it becoming part of the future St. George Beltway (on the west side of town).
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on January 12, 2013, 01:55:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Virginia_Route_6
Half a mile at most.

was that ever a much longer route?  reason I ask is, because out of the 10 or so fully embossed WV shields I know of, three are route 6.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NWI_Irish96

For Indiana, the eastern segment of IN 4 is 5.9 miles.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota's shortest single-digit state route is MN 3, which still clocks in at 43 miles but lives in the shadows between I-35 and US 52 so it's only a marginally important local-type route anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

Considering Arkansas' chopped up highway numbering, I would say AR 4 between Cove, Ar and the OK Line (about 3 miles)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: US71 on January 14, 2013, 04:58:17 PM
Considering Arkansas' chopped up highway numbering, I would say AR 4 between Cove, Ar and the OK Line (about 3 miles)
As did Road Hog when creating this thread :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: english si on January 12, 2013, 04:56:40 PM
Even if you ignore the little places (Jersey, Isle of Man, Luxembourg, etc) and the incomplete networks/motorways numbered due to being part of route x that continues the route onwards, then you still have some very short 1-digit motorways in Europe:

Northern Ireland (OK, it's a province with its own numbering system) has the M3 at 1.2 miles, and the M5 at 1.5 miles
The A5 in the Netherlands was recently extended from 4.6 miles to 8.8 miles (and will nearly reach 10 miles when finished)
The A3 in France (the country which is the largest in size in the EU) is only 8.9 miles.

The best one overall (that I know of) is the A8 on the Isle of Man - unsigned, half a mile, most of which seems to have been downgraded (physically) recently, giving you this 260 yard route that google gives as a 3 minute walk. I found it when looking on the Government's GIS service. It wasn't the original A8, so it seems like they declared this road an A road and took the lowest free number. Jersey's A7 is 1.5 miles and signed.

This is not the case of Spain, since every national single digit designation runs for a good lenght, with the shortest one being the AP-9 at just 100 miles for the mainline.

But going regional (State-like level) the trophy goes to the weird-numbered expressway* ARA-A1 at only 3 miles.

*I usually translate the Spanish words "autovía" and "autopista" (They are now the same concept) to motorway, but since the US doesn't use that word, I used expressway instead.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Brandon

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 16, 2013, 02:49:24 PM
*I usually translate the Spanish words "autovía" and "autopista" (They are now the same concept) to motorway, but since the US doesn't use that word, I used expressway instead.

Motorway is a British/Irish term for the roads.  In Anglo-North America (US and Canada), "freeway" and "expressway" tend to be used.  Quebec uses "autoroute", and Mexico and Peurto Rico use "autopista".

There could be a whole thread on the terms used and what each means in differing locales.  As an example, "freeway" and "expressway" mean the same in many eastern US cities, but in some states and provinces, a "freeway" is the controlled-access road with interchanges while an "expressway" has at-grade intersections.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Road Hog

Quote from: Brandon on January 17, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 16, 2013, 02:49:24 PM

Motorway is a British/Irish term for the roads.  In Anglo-North America (US and Canada), "freeway" and "expressway" tend to be used.  Quebec uses "autoroute", and Mexico and Peurto Rico use "autopista".

There could be a whole thread on the terms used and what each means in differing locales.  As an example, "freeway" and "expressway" mean the same in many eastern US cities, but in some states and provinces, a "freeway" is the controlled-access road with interchanges while an "expressway" has at-grade intersections.

Feel free to correct me, but I understand the British use "dual carriageway" to describe what we'd call a divided road with at-grade intersections (which are more often than not roundabouts over there).

english si

No, a dual carriageway is simply any divided road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.