News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 6 / RI 10 Interchange in Providence

Started by southshore720, August 21, 2013, 11:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southshore720

The off-ramp from US 6W to RI 14 is permanently closing today.  Here are details on the project that were drafted in February:
http://www.dot.ri.gov/documents/bridges/Magnolia%20St%20Mtg%20Flyer%202-19-13%20v4.pdf

It's too bad they couldn't lump this into the bigger proposal to reconstruct the 6/10 interchange and allow RI 10N travelers to access US 6W.  This is the oldest interchange in the state and is in dire need of renovation all around!

Alps

Heh, read that as "6W" at first. I actually use that notation when writing my trip plans, and then when I get to a case like US 9W in NY, I say "9W S" instead of, for US 9, "9S". Regarding the plan, they could have routed 6 WB right next to 6 EB and squeezed in an overpass (or underpass, whichever) to provide a right-hand exit. Without your mentioned 10N-6W ramp, there's no weave.

NE2

The alternate route (exit at 6A and loop around) looks fine; the cost of another overpass is not worth it. The current configuration made a lot more sense when the freeway ended at 6A, with a higher share of the traffic continuing west on 14.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

southshore720

I wonder if they're going to update the signage to read "6A to 14 / Hartford Ave, Plainfield St."  Then again, RI doesn't move quickly on posting new signage where it's needed...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.