News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Florida: 1943 Orlando area map

Started by Brian556, February 17, 2013, 11:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I noticed a couple of problems with this map. US 441 is shown as a state highway, and US 192 from Kissimmee eastward is not shown.
Were all of the other circle routes state highways? If yes, why was the state highway network so dense on the east side of Orlando?

Also, this map answers my question about SR 24. This map shows that it passed west of Windermere, while state maps show it passing through downtown Windermere.

NE2

In 1939, Orange County got a bill passed that added a whole bunch of county roads (mostly those paved in the late 1920s through a county bond issue) to the state highway system. In subsequent years, other counties followed suit, some to ridiculous extremes (1941 chapter 20285 added every road in Washington County as a possible state highway). The SRD wisely stopped assigning numbers to every legislated route (543 was apparently the last one in 1939), instead only giving numbers to roads that they planned to take over.

Here's a 1939 map. But you're best off going to the horse's mouth and looking up chapter 19049 of the 1939 laws.

Also, does that say GOAT on the west edge?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

It says "1GOAT". This is aviation-related information.

So, are you saying that some of these routes were just "on paper", and never taken over/signed by the state?

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on February 18, 2013, 12:20:57 AM
It says "1GOAT". This is aviation-related information.

So, are you saying that some of these routes were just "on paper", and never taken over/signed by the state?

They were (not) acquired by the Grand High Alan.

Even some of the early routes were never taken over. For example, unbuilt SR 15 along the Gulf from Newport to Inglis was defined in 1925. SR 32 was supposed to go northeast from Avon Park to meet SR 30 (now SR 60) at the Kissimmee River; this extension was defined in 1927.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ace10

Brian, do you have any other images of the surrounding areas of that map? The 17/92/192 shields may have been drawn on that alignment, but just south (or east) of your map.

As for 441, there is a FL 441 but it exists in and around Daytona Beach. A few other roads I see marked on your map are 408 and 417, which of course are now used for Orlando-area toll roads, and 405 which now runs from US 1 in Titusville to Merritt Island. (Interestingly, before today I didn't know 405 looped northward from FL 50 - or at least that's what Bing Maps shows). While the 441 on your map may have been a mistake, it's possible that may have been old FL 441 before it got reassigned. I did a quick search for an Orange County Road 441 but didn't come across anything.

It's also interesting to see the roads just north of present day Magic Kingdom on the 1939 map. I would have figured all that got built up in the 70s. Interesting to find out they were there before WDW. Thanks for the map!

NE2

These are all from the pre-1945 numbering. Any resemblance to today's numbers is coincidental (except, of course, U.S. Routes like 441).

Quote from: Ace10 on February 20, 2013, 10:13:15 AM
It's also interesting to see the roads just north of present day Magic Kingdom on the 1939 map. I would have figured all that got built up in the 70s. Interesting to find out they were there before WDW. Thanks for the map!
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00071773/00002/34x?vo=3&n=palmm (that's Bay Lake at the bottom)

DeaconG

Quote from: Ace10 on February 20, 2013, 10:13:15 AM
Brian, do you have any other images of the surrounding areas of that map? The 17/92/192 shields may have been drawn on that alignment, but just south (or east) of your map.

As for 441, there is a FL 441 but it exists in and around Daytona Beach. A few other roads I see marked on your map are 408 and 417, which of course are now used for Orlando-area toll roads, and 405 which now runs from US 1 in Titusville to Merritt Island. (Interestingly, before today I didn't know 405 looped northward from FL 50 - or at least that's what Bing Maps shows). While the 441 on your map may have been a mistake, it's possible that may have been old FL 441 before it got reassigned. I did a quick search for an Orange County Road 441 but didn't come across anything.

Yep, 405 extends northward from 50 as South Street and ends at US 1 in front of the Brevard County Government Center in Titusville.  405 southward is Columbia Boulevard and ends just as you cross into KSC before the drawbridge.

Someday I wish they'd four lane South Street so it could be used as a bypass around Titusville, but I don't expect to see that in my lifetime.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Brian556

Quote from Ace10:
QuoteBrian, do you have any other images of the surrounding areas of that map? The 17/92/192 shields may have been drawn on that alignment, but just south (or east) of your map.

What specific area would you like to see?

On this map, there are US 17/92 shields south of Kissimmee. It is worth noting that this map shows that US 17/92 had already been moved off the "Old Tampa Hwy" alignment. As for US 192, there are no US 192 shields on this map. It shows SR 24 (US 192) as far east as St Cloud; that's where the map ends.

BTW, thanks to this map, I just found a lost brick alignment of SR 22 off Bluford Av in Ocoee.http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.556226,-81.541787&spn=0.000019,0.012531&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.556226,-81.541787&panoid=NdmrVcJDulEChRFfpY-UhQ&cbp=12,117.86,,0,0

NE2

Quote from: Brian556 on February 20, 2013, 10:43:14 PM
BTW, thanks to this map, I just found a lost brick alignment of SR 22 off Bluford Av in Ocoee.http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=28.556226,-81.541787&spn=0.000019,0.012531&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.556226,-81.541787&panoid=NdmrVcJDulEChRFfpY-UhQ&cbp=12,117.86,,0,0
If you go west one frame you can see a brown "Ocoee Historical Site" sign (which erroneously says it was part of SR 50).

Ace10

Quote from: Brian556 on February 20, 2013, 10:43:14 PMWhat specific area would you like to see?

On this map, there are US 17/92 shields south of Kissimmee. It is worth noting that this map shows that US 17/92 had already been moved off the "Old Tampa Hwy" alignment. As for US 192, there are no US 192 shields on this map. It shows SR 24 (US 192) as far east as St Cloud; that's where the map ends.

I didn't need to see any other part of the map in particular; I just didn't know if you had access to a larger one to see if any 17/92 or 192 shields were cut off.

I know 192 and 441 run concurrently for a while from Kissimmee to Holopaw; I was thinking perhaps that was the reason why 192 wasn't on the map (it may have been east of Holopaw to Melbourne), but they don't even have 441 on the map correctly. Or perhaps SR 24 was more well-known and had been there longer, so it took precedence when drawing the map. Sorry I don't have anything closer to the truth - I just have conjecture at this point.

NE2

Motherfucker.
http://www.wotimes.com/articles/2012/08/22/news/top_stories/news01.txt
QuoteButler told the Times that the city has taken up the old bricks and will re-lay them in the median of a new street being constructed on the property. The bricks will be part of a two-lane divided road that curves through the development.

The new configuration can be seen on these 2013 aerials: http://maps.ocpafl.org/

Brian556

QuoteMotherfucker.
http://www.wotimes.com/articles/2012/08/22/news/top_stories/news01.txt

Butler told the Times that the city has taken up the old bricks and will re-lay them in the median of a new street being constructed on the property. The bricks will be part of a two-lane divided road that curves through the development.

This is some sorry s**t! That lost brich highway going off into the woods looked awsome. It definitely should have been perserved for both the highway, and being the old townsite.

I hate greed!

This reminds me of when the Town of Flower Mound tore out OLD US 377, which had been abandoned since 1951or2, to re-use the right-of-way for a water line. The abandoned highway included the remians of a bridge that had been dynamited, and trees had grown up through the debris. It was so cool.
The Town of Flower Mound sucks!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.