News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Packing 123 Horsepower Into 3 Cylinders

Started by cpzilliacus, March 15, 2013, 07:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: Packing 123 Horsepower Into 3 Cylinders

QuoteCraig Daitch needed to fly to Los Angeles on short notice, and he had more than the usual amount of baggage.

QuoteIn addition to a laptop and extra clothes, Mr. Daitch, manager for car communications at Ford Motor, was bringing an item for display at last fall's auto show: the largest part of a new Ford engine.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

pctech

Ford has been turning out some very sophisticated engines. (as they have too, to meet tightening CAFE/emissions standards) It'll be interesting to see how it performs in real world test and how it sells.

Mark

Alps

The problem with 3-cylinder engines has historically been noise and balance. I'm sure that creative counterweighting can minimize vibration issues, but it's an inherent issue with inline engines in general. The odd number of cylinders hurts the cause, because there's a very limited range of tuning the cylinder firing combinations. They can do their best, but you'll always know you're driving a 3-banger.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2013, 06:48:47 PM
The problem with 3-cylinder engines has historically been noise and balance. I'm sure that creative counterweighting can minimize vibration issues, but it's an inherent issue with inline engines in general. The odd number of cylinders hurts the cause, because there's a very limited range of tuning the cylinder firing combinations. They can do their best, but you'll always know you're driving a 3-banger.

Even heard or driven in an old SAAB (which featured a 2-stroke 3 cylinder engines) in the 1960's? Sounded like a popcorn machine, with plenty of oily two-stroke exhaust.

They were capable of maintaining 70 MPH in the pre-NMSL days.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

pctech

The ford 3 cyl. eco-boost engine has the counter balancing in the flywheel, does not use a counter balance weight shaft.
From what I have read it's a pretty smooth engine and performs well.

Mark

Henry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 24, 2013, 08:31:08 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 24, 2013, 06:48:47 PM

Even heard or driven in an old SAAB (which featured a 2-stroke 3 cylinder engines) in the 1960's? Sounded like a popcorn machine, with plenty of oily two-stroke exhaust.

They were capable of maintaining 70 MPH in the pre-NMSL days.
One of my old college roommates had a Geo Metro, also with a 3-cylinder engine. Man, that thing was strange, simply because of that fact!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sanctimoniously

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

leroys73

Triumph motorcycles use 3 cylinders.  The Rocket III is smooth. Well, then there was the Yugo. :pan:
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.