News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Annoying reverse alarms on minivans and SUVs

Started by ilvny, March 01, 2013, 10:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilvny

I understand the need for large trucks and emergency vehicles to have reverse alarms (beep-beep-beep  :D ), but I find it so annoying when minivans and SUVs used for commercial purposes have reverse alarms.  The security vehicles at the community college I attended were Jeep Patriots and they all had reverse alarms.  It was especially annoying when I had a class in a modular classroom and I could hear the reverse alarms from the security vehicles and delivery trucks.  My local county transportation agency (not the same as public transit; requires preregistration) has a fleet of minivans and buses.  The buses need the alarms, but do the minivans?

broadhurst04

If the vehicle is owned by a government agency, then the alarms are probably there to help defend the agency against legal liability in case one of their drivers backs into someone. The victim can't claim they didn't see or hear the vehicle if it's proven that the alarm was working at that time.

Stratuscaster

Ever drive a minivan? It's VERY easy to have a pedestrian behind you in a spot where you can't see them.

Many injuries and deaths to children happen when they get behind a vehicle and do not get out of the way. Sometimes the sound of the engine running, the bright white reverse lights, and the large massive object moving towards them isn't enough to catch their attention.

Annoying? Yes - but that's kind of the point.

SidS1045

If you want to talk about annoying:  the current models of the Toyota Prius (2010-2013) have an *internal* backup alarm, only audible inside the car.  However, it can be turned off; how-to's are all over the Internet.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

djsinco

Many of these back-up alarms on commercial vehicles are forced upon us by our friends the insurance industry, lately including the smaller vehicles.
3 million miles and counting

kkt

Quote from: djsinco on March 06, 2013, 11:29:44 AM
Many of these back-up alarms on commercial vehicles are forced upon us by our friends the insurance industry, lately including the smaller vehicles.

Those darn insurance companies always trying to keep people from getting run over!

ilvny

The insurance industry is also responsible for making young drivers like me pay a lot for insurance because of the stupidity of other young drivers, as well as charging extra to rent cars to drivers under 25, but that's another topic.

The Prius backup alarm seems unnecessary.  Does it have a back-up camera?  I hope my next SUV has a back-up camera.

formulanone

Quote from: SidS1045 on March 06, 2013, 11:22:57 AM
If you want to talk about annoying:  the current models of the Toyota Prius (2010-2013) have an *internal* backup alarm, only audible inside the car.

That is an aggravation when I rent those things. Way too loud and repetitive...Warn the pedestrians behind me (because it makes no noise at typical parking lot speeds), and stop distracting me, the driver!

Back-up cameras are an option, but typically, you have to spring for a full in-dash navigation system option to get it. I think Nissan offers one embedded in the rear-view mirror (which is a smart place to put it).

DaBigE

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2013, 03:13:52 PM
Quote from: SidS1045 on March 06, 2013, 11:22:57 AM
If you want to talk about annoying:  the current models of the Toyota Prius (2010-2013) have an *internal* backup alarm, only audible inside the car.
That is an aggravation when I rent those things. Way too loud and repetitive...Warn the pedestrians behind me (because it makes no noise at typical parking lot speeds), and stop distracting me, the driver!

Pardon my ignorance, (never driven a Prius of that generation...way too small for someone like me who's 6'+), but is this internal alarm the same thing as a reverse sensing system (only sounds as you near an object) or is this thing on all the time when in reverse? If the latter, I just found another reason to avoid that car.

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2013, 03:13:52 PM
I think Nissan offers one embedded in the rear-view mirror (which is a smart place to put it).

Ford offers it that way as well, at least in the Fusion.

Quote from: ilvny on March 06, 2013, 02:20:13 PM
The insurance industry is also responsible for making young drivers like me pay a lot for insurance because of the stupidity of other young drivers, but that's another topic.

The Prius backup alarm seems unnecessary.  Does it have a back-up camera?  I hope my next SUV has a back-up camera.

I thought I read somewhere that the insurance comPAINies were lobbying to make back-up cameras required in all new vehicles... :hmmm:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

formulanone

Quote from: DaBigE on March 06, 2013, 03:28:04 PM
Pardon my ignorance, (never driven a Prius of that generation...way too small for someone like me who's 6'+), but is this internal alarm the same thing as a reverse sensing system (only sounds as you near an object) or is this thing on all the time when in reverse?

It just makes that noise in reverse, a shrill BEEP once every half-second when you engage reverse. There's no reminder in neutral (or in drive in electric-only mode), so it must be for really unaware drivers, because it probably isn't audible to a blind person that might be walking outside the car, unless your windows are down.

Oh, you'd probably fit alright in it; you sit rather low in the car and there's more headroom than you think...unless you also wear a cowboy hat when driving. Surprisingly comfortable on long hauls, pretty capable on highways. They're just rather off-putting at average city speeds; tolerable if you're in no hurry to move the steering wheel, but clumsy at changing direction.

QuoteI thought I read somewhere that the insurance comPAINies were lobbying to make back-up cameras required in all new vehicles...

The reverse system also includes "proximity sensors" mounted in the rear (and sometimes front) bumpers, so that's an added expense on the two most damaged components of a vehicle. Not surprisingly, the sensors are quite vulnerable to damage in a low-speed accident...so that's another item for calculation into your insurance premiums as well.

DaBigE

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2013, 09:10:49 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on March 06, 2013, 03:28:04 PM
Pardon my ignorance, (never driven a Prius of that generation...way too small for someone like me who's 6'+), but is this internal alarm the same thing as a reverse sensing system (only sounds as you near an object) or is this thing on all the time when in reverse?

It just makes that noise in reverse, a shrill BEEP once every half-second when you engage reverse. There's no reminder in neutral (or in drive in electric-only mode), so it must be for really unaware drivers, because it probably isn't audible to a blind person that might be walking outside the car, unless your windows are down.

So I talked with a co-worker that owns a 2011...the beep can be partially disabled at the dealer. If you ask for it, the dealer can reduce it down to a single beep when the reverse gear is initially engaged. This is a sad day for society when we need a audio reminder that you put your car in reverse. :no:  What's even more pathetic, is that it probably won't do a damn thing for the people it was designed to help. :pan:  If you need an alarm to tell you that you put your car in reverse, you need to TURN IN YOUR KEYS and shred your drivers license.

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2013, 09:10:49 PM
Oh, you'd probably fit alright in it; you sit rather low in the car and there's more headroom than you think...unless you also wear a cowboy hat when driving. Surprisingly comfortable on long hauls, pretty capable on highways. They're just rather off-putting at average city speeds; tolerable if you're in no hurry to move the steering wheel, but clumsy at changing direction.

Nope...(and no to the cowboy hat...don't even/never will own one)...unless the interior has dramatically changed in dimension and layout from the 2007 that I rented.
I wear clothes, not cars.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SidS1045

Visibility straight backwards is actually pretty good.  There's a glass panel below the rear window and spoiler.  It's a pain to keep clean, especially in winter, but it provides a good view of what you can't see out the steeply angled rear window.

There are, however, substantial blind spots by the rear quarter panels.  You have to carefully set up your outside mirrors to alleviate that problem.

Quote from: DaBigESo I talked with a co-worker that owns a 2011...the beep can be partially disabled at the dealer. If you ask for it, the dealer can reduce it down to a single beep when the reverse gear is initially engaged.

I'm hearing that some dealers won't do it (probably due to some lawyer telling them they can be sued), but as I stated the instructions are easily found on the Internet and don't involve a scan tool or software.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Stratuscaster

The issue with the Prius - and with other electric vehicles - is that it is difficult for pedestrians and other drivers to HEAR the car moving when it is under electric-only power.

At a media ride & drive event for Chrysler back in 2009, I was attempting to pull a Chrysler Aspen Hybrid SUV out for a test drive. The group of folks in front of me made no attempt to move - because they couldn't hear anything running. Even "creeping up on them" did nothing (you would think someone would have noticed a fairly large SUV moving towards them) - eventually I had to blow the horn to get their attention. (And that's why there are calls for all electrics and hybrids to have a "beeper" to be operational when the vehicle is moving in electric mode regardless of direction.)

djsinco

It would be better to use a proximity sensor to trigger the alert, instead of the car beeping all over the place. I think I remember reading about some electric car that has front and rear speakers, and plays a recording that sounds like a car loping along in this same situation. maybe the Tesla?
3 million miles and counting

US81

Quote from: Stratuscaster on March 08, 2013, 10:58:14 PM
The issue with the Prius - and with other electric vehicles - is that it is difficult for pedestrians and other drivers to HEAR the car moving when it is under electric-only power.

Agreed. That's why an external alarm might make sense, but the internal one, audible only to the driver and any passengers inside the vehicle, does not make sense.

vdeane

If all cars had beepers nobody would pay attention and we'd all go deaf for no reason (I fully expect gas cars to die a quick death once graphene batteries come to market in 5-10 years; to get an example of how good these things are, a graphene battery in a smart phone lasts more than a week and takes less than a minute to fully charge, and graphene is so easy to make that it can be done in a computer DVD drive).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: US81 on March 09, 2013, 10:47:34 AM
Agreed. That's why an external alarm might make sense, but the internal one, audible only to the driver and any passengers inside the vehicle, does not make sense.
Perhaps it's for the driver to pay attention to his surroundings when backing up.

Brian556

I have no problems with backup alarms. I see them as a benificial safety device. They could be very helpful in busy parking lots and in driveways wnere kids play. I used to work in construction, and drove dump trucks. These alarms were very benificial to safety. Sometimes I would put my truck in reverse, and let the alarm soud for a few seconds before backing. If my fellow workers were standing nearby, they would look behind my truck for me and give me a wave to proceed.

I could, however see these becoming annoying in abusy parking lot where vehicles are constantly backing in or out. I could see limiting the volume of these so that only people very close to the vehicle could hear them.
QuoteAnd that's why there are calls for all electrics and hybrids to have a "beeper" to be operational when the vehicle is moving in electric mode regardless of direction.)

This would be similar in concept to the bells on locomotives. they arn't very loud, and appear to be for the benifit of people in close proximity only.

formulanone

Quote from: Stratuscaster on March 10, 2013, 07:32:49 PM
Quote from: US81 on March 09, 2013, 10:47:34 AM
Perhaps it's for the driver to pay attention to his surroundings when backing up.

Since the advent of the reverse gear, we've managed...not that we're getting much better at it, but one more distraction isn't the way to go. Were that many hybrid drivers rolling backwards unintentionally? I could see the point if you owned a manual transmission Honda CR-Z (the only hybrid-powered vehicle in North America available in stick), but I don't think it's in that car. I know the Insight I've driven sure didn't beep.

I've got to lie down now. Too many questions.

vdeane

Maybe they're like my aunt, who when learning to drive thought "R" meant "ride".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: Green Acres:  Season 2, Episode 15

Tom Blackwell: (teaching Lisa how to drive) Do you know what these are? (pointing to the gear shift) P-R-N-D-L.

Lisa: Oh yes. that's a pernundel. My husband has a pernundel on his car, too.

I remember Éva Gábor's character being perplexed that they would call the Forward gear "D" rather than "F", the Backing gear "R" rather than "B", and the Starting gear "N" rather than "S".  All very confusing for a first-time driver.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Stratuscaster

According to "Brother" Dave Gardner, "N" was for "nothin'", "L" was for "leap", "D" was for "drag" and "R" was for "race."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.