News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The new Sim City (released March 5)

Started by OCGuy81, March 06, 2013, 11:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

I've watched some "let's play" videos and it actually doesn't look like a terrible game. I kind of want to play it. But the online requirement still bugs me, and I'm not sure my hardware is up to the challenge.  Plus I just can't drop $50 for another toy right now.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: vtk on April 07, 2013, 04:43:43 PM
I've watched some "let's play" videos and it actually doesn't look like a terrible game. I kind of want to play it. But the online requirement still bugs me, and I'm not sure my hardware is up to the challenge.  Plus I just can't drop $50 for another toy right now.

I've heard a rumor that later this year, AMD will be giving away SC & BF4 for free if you buy a new video card.  But don't quote me on this as it might not happen.

Stratuscaster

Managed to pick up the new SimCity for $20 after some credits and discounts on some other merch from Amazon.

tl;dr review: It's worth $20.

The video card requirements puzzled me. Minimum for a Radeon card was an HD2400 series. I have an HD 6450, and when the game initially launched it told me that my card did NOT meet the minimum spec.

It runs the game fine - on nothing higher than medium settings, with AA turned off, shadows low, and minimal tilt-shift. For grins, I cranked everything up to high. It loaded, but moving about the screen was nigh on impossible. SC really makes use of tilt-shift which some folks might like and others (like my son) won't.

The game itself is OK - still learning it and the differences. Roads also serve as your power grid, water grid, and sewer grid - as well as determining the potential density of your zoning areas. You don't just "zone for medium or high density" - if the road next to your zone isn't a high or medium density road - your zone won't grow.

Pre a previous comment - no, you aren't forced to lay roads in certain areas. You do get a road "guide" that, if followed, will allow your zones to maximize space use and density growth. You don't have to follow the guide.

Bottom line, though - it's not worth the $60 retail price, and I don't think I'd pay more than $40. At $30 or less, it's worth getting if you like that style of game.

Just learned today that if you have already purchased either the retail or digital Windows version, you will be able to also download the Mac OS X version when it launches 6/11/13. Not sure why you'd want both. They do work with each other online, which is nice.

The online component is a non-issue for me - I play at home, which has an Internet connection 99.9 percent of the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.