News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Red left turn signals -- red ball or red arrow?

Started by swbrotha100, June 25, 2012, 03:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerobird

I concur that a protected turn signal (regardless of direction) should always use a red arrow, not a red ball; to do otherwise is potential cause for confusion.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

froggie

It should also be noted that only within the past 2-3 years has VDOT standard shifted from red balls to red arrows for left turn signals.  It will take some time through the normal signal/bulb replacement process to convert them all.

Mr_Northside

Can't speak for the entire state, but in SW-Pennsylvania, I don't know that PennDOT has any.  (Which isn't to say there aren't any),  even a complete redo of signals @ PA-65 (Ohio River Blvd) / McKees Rocks Bridge intersection just a handful of months ago has red balls for the the left signals.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Signal

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2013, 01:54:31 AM
It should also be noted that only within the past 2-3 years has VDOT standard shifted from red balls to red arrows for left turn signals.  It will take some time through the normal signal/bulb replacement process to convert them all.
Actually, with regards to Charlottesville, all but a few signals have been converted to LED (happened around 2010). Only a handful remain incandescent, and no signals remain with all sections incandescent.
Also, Charlottesville doesn't do much signal replacing. During the city-wide LED upgrade, all 8" signals or 9" pedestrian signals were replaced, but besides that, very few new signals have been added.

Signal

I personally think the ball + sign is better.
Having a ball is better visibility than an arrow, of course; and having a sign? With regards to size, thats about a 600% difference.

The worst thing is when they are both used at the same time:  X-(

IMG_5596 by Signals Unlimited, on Flickr

FreewayDan

Quote from: Signal on September 25, 2013, 07:42:23 PM
I personally think the ball + sign is better.
Having a ball is better visibility than an arrow, of course; and having a sign? With regards to size, thats about a 600% difference.

The worst thing is when they are both used at the same time:  X-(

IMG_5596 by Signals Unlimited, on Flickr

Here's some red arrow and red ball traffic signals together on the mast arm.  Both located in the Woodlands, TX:

Westbound Woodlands Parkway at East Panther Creek Drive by FreewayDan, on Flickr

Westbound Research Forest Drive at Cats Cradle Drive (2012) by FreewayDan, on Flickr
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

tradephoric

^^ A mix of red balls and arrows.. and also a mix of vertical and horizontal signal heads. 

jeffandnicole

How much visability do you really need for a left arrow?  You'll be using a turn lane and slowing down as is. It's not like you need to see what color the turning light is a quarter mile (over 15 seconds) away.

PColumbus73

If reduced visibility is a problem, why not apply the dual-red left turn arrows that are in place in South Carolina?

Fntp

Well in Pa they just started using red arrows honestly I think it's about time because I was tired of the confusing red ball for a protected turn.

MASTERNC

In PA, I've seen red arrows in a few random townships outside Philly (i.e. near Fort Washington, Plymouth Meeting)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.