How Did Route Shields get their shape?

Started by bing101, March 10, 2014, 02:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 1 on March 12, 2014, 05:20:15 PM
It says "evacuation". Evacuation routes are probably triangles.

Triangle = Civil Defense, a term pretty much forgotten these days, but whose logo is at the top of the sign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_defense

Evacuation signs have been round and blue as long as I have been alive, though they once had the CD triangle tucked in there somewhere. 

D-Dey65

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 12, 2014, 06:13:32 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2014, 05:16:46 PM
I have no knowledge of Washington having a state secondary route system.  got any more info?

Wikipedia has some information on them–apparently the secondaries were letter-suffixed routes branching from the primary routes, similar to OK. The current system arose from a renumbering in 1964. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_State_Highways_%28Washington%29

Not to be confused with the actual branches of the primary routes, which had a two letter suffix, but were (I think) signed with just the number, and part of the primary system.

Generally, a "new" 3-digit route was probably a pre-1964 branch or secondary, while a "new" 1- or 2-digit route was probably a pre-1964 primary, though plenty of exceptions exist both ways, and there's no longer any legal distinction between primary and secondary.

NE2

I have no knowledge of Washington having a state secondary route system.  got any more info?

Wikipedia has some information on them–apparently the secondaries were letter-suffixed routes branching from the primary routes, similar to OK.
This is a secondary:

I'm probably wrong about the triangle. But Wisconsin did use a state outline :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

Is that background dark green as opposed to black?  Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

DaBigE

Quote from: NE2 on March 13, 2014, 12:03:24 AM

Wikipedia has some information on them—apparently the secondaries were letter-suffixed routes branching from the primary routes, similar to OK.
This is a secondary:

I'm probably wrong about the triangle. But Washington Wisconsin did use a state outline :bigass:

Fixed it for you.

The only outlines Wisconsin ever used are for marking Heritage Trails and Rustic Roads, never officially for state trunk highways.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

NE2

what

[edit]Washington never used a state outline. But Chris Bessert can eat poo.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: DaBigE on March 13, 2014, 12:56:53 AM
Quote from: NE2 on March 13, 2014, 12:03:24 AM
I'm probably wrong about the triangle. But Washington Wisconsin did use a state outline :bigass:

Fixed it for you.

The only outlines Wisconsin ever used are for marking Heritage Trails and Rustic Roads, never officially for state trunk highways.

Wisconsin started out with the downward pointing triangle as seen on DaBigE's avatar.  It later, by the 1940s evolved into a more modern shape that we seen today.  Why they used the downward pointing triangle?  I have no idea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 13, 2014, 12:34:55 AM
Is that background dark green as opposed to black?  Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
These signs look like they were colorized after the fact. I have trouble believing Nebraska would paint each shield blue and green like that.

agentsteel53

I had no idea that the lettered routes were intended to be secondary.  if so, there were only a very small handful of primary routes.  numbered 1-20 or so.  even fewer than the amount of one- or two-digit routes present today.  nowadays, a lot of Washington's three-digit routes can be considered secondary, and the numbering system follows the old number-letter one, except with a numerical final digit.

as for triangle shields marking suffixed routes - I have never seen such a thing; and I bet NE2 indeed misremembered an evacuation route shield.  all the old routes, primary and secondary, were Washington heads as far as I've ever seen.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

national highway 1

Quote from: Brandon on March 12, 2014, 11:33:11 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 12, 2014, 10:44:40 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 12, 2014, 01:34:32 PM
Hawaii is a raindrop.
I thought it was a macadamia nut.

It's the Diamond Head on Oahu.
I'm pretty sure the shield represents the shape of Hawaii, the Big Island.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.