News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest straight-line stretch of road

Started by TheStranger, December 27, 2013, 03:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Thought about this while taking a train trip down the Peninsula (given that rail travel does not have to factor in curvature as an antidote to "highway hypnosis") -

What's the longest single curveless stretch of road out there (in North America, in the world, etc.)? 
Chris Sampang

sammi

This article used to say the 123-mile (which is the entire length) ND 46 was the longest straight route in the country, but apparently it's been reduced to a 27-mile stretch of it.

That said, I nominate the 90 Mile Straight on the Eyre Highway in Western Australia. It's likely not the longest though.

cpzilliacus

One of the longest sections of straight freeway I have ever driven is I-76 (the E-W Mainline of the Pennsylvania Turnpike) roughly between Pa. 997, Exit 201 (Blue Mountain); and U.S. 11 (a breezewood-type non connection to I-81), Exit 226 (Carlisle). 

The entire segment between Exits 201 and 226 is pretty straight, but the section that seems to have no curves at all is about 11.5 miles long (on Google here).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheStranger

Quote from: sammi on December 27, 2013, 04:00:12 PM
This article used to say the 123-mile (which is the entire length) ND 46 was the longest straight route in the country, but apparently it's been reduced to a 27-mile stretch of it.

Looking at Google Maps, the following stretches are currently perfectly straight:

1. from the western terminus to the west end of Gackle, 8 miles

2. from Gackle to 89th Avenue SE near the James River, about 26 miles

3. from 91st Avenue SE near the James River to 117th Avenue SE near Little Yellowstone Park, 27 miles

4. from east of Valley Road to east of the west junction with 164th Avenue SE in Kindred, 42 miles

5. from the east junction of 164th Avenue SE to the end of the route, 7.7 miles.   (54th Street Southeast continues another 2 miles to the state line where it curves)

Chris Sampang

sammi

Quote from: TheStranger on December 27, 2013, 04:21:01 PM
Looking at Google Maps, the following stretches are currently perfectly straight:

1. from the western terminus to the west end of Gackle, 8 miles

2. from Gackle to 89th Avenue SE near the James River, about 26 miles

3. from 91st Avenue SE near the James River to 117th Avenue SE near Little Yellowstone Park, 27 miles

4. from east of Valley Road to east of the west junction with 164th Avenue SE in Kindred, 42 miles

5. from the east junction of 164th Avenue SE to the end of the route, 7.7 miles.   (54th Street Southeast continues another 2 miles to the state line where it curves)

Then the article was probably referring to #3.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: TheStranger on December 27, 2013, 03:51:32 PM
Thought about this while taking a train trip down the Peninsula (given that rail travel does not have to factor in curvature as an antidote to "highway hypnosis") -

What's the longest single curveless stretch of road out there (in North America, in the world, etc.)? 

For a freeway in North America, I'd go with the stretch of I-80 across the Great Salt Lake Desert.  Straight as an arrow from Exit 4 just east of Wendover to a curve just before Exit 49.  A total of approximately 45 miles of straight, flat freeway now signed for 80 mph.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2013, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 27, 2013, 04:30:42 PM
Cape Canaveral to Moon Base.

That's actually on a great curve.

So is almost any "straight line" on the earth.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on December 27, 2013, 04:32:31 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2013, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 27, 2013, 04:30:42 PM
Cape Canaveral to Moon Base.

That's actually on a great curve.

So is almost any "straight line" on the earth.

Fair enough, but the longer the distance, the more apparent the curve.

jeffandnicole

There's about a 17 mile stretch of US 1 in NJ which is extremely straight; unusual for a state where a road rarely doesn't have a curve at least once a mile.  A good portion of that US 1 stretch parallels the just-as-straight Northeast Corridor rail line.

SD Mapman

There's a 74-mile stretch on SD 44 between the Missouri River (almost) and the James River. Routes in eastern SD rarely veer from the N-S E-W local road grid. (but they do bend at 90 degree angles along them, which makes finding straight stretches hard).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

theline

This has been discussed before, and I recall posting about how many arrow-straight E-W highways are in northern Indiana. For the life of me, I can't find my post, though I did find two other threads that discuss the subject: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5531.0 and https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8045.0

hotdogPi

Are MA 28 (north of Boston) and MA 114 straight enough?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Zeffy

The New Jersey Turnpike looks to be pretty straight from East Brunswick down to East Windsor, then again from East Windsor to Bordentown.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.