News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Old Wisconsin state highway shield

Started by MarkG, January 01, 2014, 05:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkG

This photo was in the AARoads Shield Gallery. When did Wisconsin use this design for its state highway shields? This is the only picture I've ever seen of this design. Does anybody have any others?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DaBigE

Never seen that style before seeing that photo...here are others though: from wisconsinhighways.org
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

mgk920

Man, has that view changed!  That's the Wisconsin Dells strip near the Tommy Bartlett show, looking south.

WOW!

:wow:

It looks to me to be about 1930ish, perhaps a transitional design experiment between the original triangles and the more modern-day design.

Mike

bugo

triplemultiplex

Quote from: NE2 on January 01, 2014, 09:07:28 PM
Basketball backboards?
The "W" in the pointy bottom even looks like netting.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Thing 342

Quote from: NE2 on January 01, 2014, 09:07:28 PM
Basketball backboards?

More like an ice cream or snow cone, if you ask me.

hbelkins

Seems like I remember an old argument on MTR between Chris Bessert and Tim Brown over a Wisconsin highway shield. Anyone recall the details of that disagreement?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on January 06, 2014, 02:53:40 PM
Seems like I remember an old argument on MTR between Chris Bessert and Tim Brown over a Wisconsin highway shield. Anyone recall the details of that disagreement?

Yes...Tim said that Wisconsin once used state outline shields and pretty much everyone said he was wrong.  I have long forgotten about Tim BTW until you just mentioned him!

BTW, that is an amazing picture.  As Mike mentions, that road looks nothing like that now. 

agentsteel53

my guess is "30s" and it's not a very good guess at all.  after that shield, they switched to an embossed, block-font variant of this:

and I think before that, they used the old-school triangle.

I have never seen a state-outline WI shield.  this is the closest to it, and as far as I know these were introduced in the 70s or 80s.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 06, 2014, 03:24:38 PMI have long forgotten about Tim BTW until you just mentioned him!

Tim posts here.  he is bandit973.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.