News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Signs with partitions or not

Started by roadman65, January 03, 2014, 08:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Since I-71 is posted before I-75, shouldn't Louisville be posted above Lexington?

(For those of you who cannot believe that I typed that, it should be noted that I dislike Lexington about as much as I do Louisville.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 04, 2014, 12:40:05 PM
Here's a BGS on the NJ Turnpike that I'm not getting the purpose of (sorry for the clarity of the pic).  This is found as one enters the NJ Turnpike at Interchange 7.  It's all one panel.  The signs are new.  Why put a line between the shield/direction and the destination?  The other interchanges all seem to have normal signage without that line thru the middle.

Off topic but given the location (Exit 7); I'm a bit surprised that those BGS' don't have I-95 shields posted or at least have a blank space allocated for such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mrsman

Quote from: NE2 on January 13, 2014, 09:27:55 PM
holy crap http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000017394611;view=1up;seq=556 (and previous page)

This report is an excellent read.  These are Congressional committee hearings from  1968 that detail some of the signing issues that field engineers working for DOTs, AAA, and other organizations have noticed.  I've read about 100 pages so far detailing concerns in the DC, NY, and LA areas.  One point that seems clear was that the engineers felt for consistent signage, mentioning locations on the signs that the motorists were familiar, including using the names of the intersecting freeways.

It seems a shame that the latest MUTCD is advising against signing freeway names, as those are very helpful.

When I'm on a freeway and come to an exit for a street, I want to know highway number (if applicable), street name, city to the left and city to the right.  E.g. (97) Georgia Ave Wheaton Silver Spring in my area works well.

When I'm going freeway to freeway, the same information is useful: I-495  Capital Beltway north Rockville, I-495 Capital Beltway south Alexandria.

I don't appreciate the new signs in L.A. that get rid of the freeway names, or get rid of control cities.

I think that some of the people involved in the current revisions of the MUTCD should re-read these old reports and consider that by eliminating helpful info for the driving public, they make our roads less safe.

Davidwrangley

Zeffy, you mentioned very clear image about signs with right direction. Definitely, it would be useful for road traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.