News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

1890's Road Maps

Started by TheKnightoftheInterstate, April 05, 2014, 10:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Does anyone know where I can locate photos of road maps relating to the Midwest during or around the 1890's era?

I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

Brandon

Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on April 05, 2014, 10:08:39 PM
Does anyone know where I can locate photos of road maps relating to the Midwest during or around the 1890's era?

Good luck with that.  Most maps I've seen prior to 1915 or so focus on railroads instead of roads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: Brandon on April 06, 2014, 03:19:55 PM
Quote from: TheKnightoftheInterstate on April 05, 2014, 10:08:39 PM

Good luck with that.  Most maps I've seen prior to 1915 or so focus on railroads instead of roads.

Dang it. My English professor forced me to change my project from a treatment on Interstates in the modern day to a report on the book Main-Travelled Roads and the life of people on their Midwestern roads in the 1890's era.  :no:

Any suggestions on links for that information? I have searched but found no solid information.
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

Molandfreak

A helpful query might be "1890's Auto Trail Maps," rather than "1890's Road Maps."
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

empirestate

Also do some Googling for "good roads movement". It should bring up a lot of relevant information from that period of road building (although 1890s, per se, might be a little early for Midwestern states).

jnewkirk77

Indiana University has the best collection of Indiana maps I've seen; it's very extensive and includes just about any kind of map you could name.  Here's the link:

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/images/splash.htm?scope=images/VAC3073

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.