News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Permissive Left Turns with no Visibilty of Oncoming Traffic

Started by Brian556, June 24, 2014, 01:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Bottom line is Wetherbee Road in Orlando at Balcomb Road needs a full left turn (protected) signal at this location.  The problem is we grow faster than our signal engineers can address problems.

Yes, I am talking about 25 years ago where a lot has changed since then.  I believe NJ now has more permissive turns than back in the 80's.  However, I generally now stay behind the stop bar, except in this intersection because the other vehicles block my view.  Therefore I break my rule as to make a safe turn.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

You're supposed to stop at the stop bar. I don't know if that's the law or not, but it's what the engineers preach.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US81

It occurs to me to wonder when were these constructed. Were they built 30 or more years ago, when cars were more likely to be a similar size? Maybe, when they built, there was only the occasional light truck to be a problem.  Did anyone foresee the proliferation of SUVs and how dangerous they would make this type of intersection?

Even so, the fact remains that this situation is very dangerous and should be addressed.

ET21

I honestly think this isn't a design flaw, it's more of the "BIG UGLY SUV". Try doing that with a semi and welcome to my world.

Worst case scenario, just wait till the thru-traffic light turns yellow and then make your turn if you can't see. Better safe than sorry  :nod:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.