The worst State Route shields of the 50 states

Started by bassoon1986, October 08, 2014, 03:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: vtk on October 08, 2014, 11:19:46 PM
In the aaroads shield gallery there are a couple of derpy Ohio shields that are labelled as something like "2002 spec". Some contractor out there must have a stockpile of blanks like that because they exist several places in the wild.

Derpy:

Both photos by John K aka ctsignguy

For the record, there is no "2002 spec".  Ohio's state route marker specification hasn't officially changed since 1975. This is just a bad drawing that someone thought was good enough to copy on dozens of road signs.  For the record, I also dislike what I call the Wikipedia spec, which is at least close but based on a low quality illustration in OMUTCD and has found its way to a lot of actual road signs.  See also shape-sr.html
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

theline

NE2

Quote from: theline on October 09, 2014, 06:11:29 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 09, 2014, 10:24:56 AM
It looks like a pregnant Georgia

I'm sure Florida's the father.

I'm not so sure. Florida seems to be spilling its seed into the Dry Tortugas.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

I've seen plenty of those "derpy" Ohio markers.

When Kentucky uses a 24x30 rectangular marker for three- or four-digit state routes, they typically are shaped like one of these two examples:

However, some of these monstrosities have been showing up:

And even with the standard marker shape, you can get things like this:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cjk374

Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2014, 10:03:12 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 09, 2014, 09:56:51 AM

THIS is why I'm not a fan of every state using state-shaped route shields.  If you're gonna use them, keep the state properly proportional.  Otherwise, use a different marker.

Man that also looks like a really pregnant Missouri shield.  It sux either as GA or MO.   X-(
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Why can't states get the widths right?

And then there's this, also in Virginia:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.