News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most streets at an intersection?

Started by Alps, December 13, 2014, 01:00:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Circles: Charles de Gaulle Etoile in Paris has 12 legs.
Regular intersections: Numerous with 6 legs, one intersection I know of had 7 but a couple of legs were diverted away from it.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

adventurernumber1

Intersections with the most streets I've personally seen are in Washington D.C. Many of them have 6 streets.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

Quite a few intersections along US-60 in Phoenix had six to seven legs, but most (all?) are now grade-separated 4-way intersections.

vtk

I suspect intersections with more than six legs were more common before automobile traffic began to dominate. Probably in places that weren't too busy with carriages.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ET21

One of my personal favorites locally (and most dangerous in Chicago), the 6 corners where Damen, Lincoln, and Irving Park cross in the North Center neighborhood
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TEG24601

There are several 6-way intersections in Seattle, some around Queen Anne Hill.  There might be some 7s or 8s, but I haven't seen them myself.  Anything more than 6 seems like it would best served with a roundabout.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

andrewkbrown

Two Streets (H Street NE & 15th Street NE), two Avenues (Florida Avenue NE & Maryland Avenue NE), and two Roads (Bladensburg Road NE & Benning Road NE) all combine at this intersection in DC.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.900314,-76.982129&spn=0.00238,0.005284&t=h&z=18
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 14, 2014, 04:17:24 PM
There are several 6-way intersections in Seattle, some around Queen Anne Hill.  There might be some 7s or 8s, but I haven't seen them myself.  Anything more than 6 seems like it would best served with a roundabout.

Really? I panned around Queen Anne a bit, and had a couple in mind where there might be 6s, but I can't actually find more than 5.

Must places in Seattle I can think of where there could have been 6, one or more of the legs is offset to be a separate intersection, or they cut off one of the legs.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 13, 2014, 01:42:14 AM
Intersections with the most streets I've personally seen are in Washington D.C. Many of them have 6 streets.

Quote from: andrewkbrown on December 14, 2014, 05:47:50 PM
Two Streets (H Street NE & 15th Street NE), two Avenues (Florida Avenue NE & Maryland Avenue NE), and two Roads (Bladensburg Road NE & Benning Road NE) all combine at this intersection in DC.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.900314,-76.982129&spn=0.00238,0.005284&t=h&z=18

Here is another one in D.C. that has plenty of legs.

New York Avenue, N.E. (2 legs); Florida Avenue, N.E. (also 2 legs); 1st Street, N.E. (1 leg); O Street, N.E. (1 leg); Eckington Place, N.E. (also 1 leg).  Added bonus - a Wendy's in the midst of all of this.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 15, 2014, 01:05:53 AM
Only six at any one intersection.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wxfree

Part of Camp Bowie Blvd. in Fort Worth is a diagonally-oriented street crossing a grid.  It has a string of six-point intersections where it crosses intersections in the grid.  It has a different kind of six-point at its northeast end, where 7th Street goes east-west, University Dr. goes north-south, Bailey Ave. goes northwest, and Camp Bowie goes southwest.  It's close to a seven-point where Camp Bowie, Montgomery St., Lancaster Ave., Clarke Ave., and Tulsa Way meet.  They don't all meet at the same point, but they're close enough together that it basically functions like a single intersection (minus the ability to go straight or turn left from Clarke Ave.).

http://goo.gl/maps/NJqCp
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

pianocello

Quote from: ET21 on December 14, 2014, 03:27:51 PM
One of my personal favorites locally (and most dangerous in Chicago), the 6 corners where Damen, Lincoln, and Irving Park cross in the North Center neighborhood

Personally, I'd be more afraid (and eerily fascinated) of the nearby intersection of Lincoln, Ravenswood, and Addison.

Not necessarily an intersection, but Dupont Circle in DC is a rather insane roundabout/circle with 10 legs: Connecticut Ave, Massachusetts Ave, New Hampshire Ave, P St, and 19th St. I imagine it's a nightmare as it is, I don't want to know what it would be like if Connecticut Ave thru traffic had to go through the circle.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

TEG24601

Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 14, 2014, 06:16:10 PM

Really? I panned around Queen Anne a bit, and had a couple in mind where there might be 6s, but I can't actually find more than 5.

Must places in Seattle I can think of where there could have been 6, one or more of the legs is offset to be a separate intersection, or they cut off one of the legs.

3rd, Nikerson, Eturia, and Florentia near the Freemont Bridge is the one that really stuck out in my mind, but I remember others when driving, but can't see them on Google Maps.

Flint, MI did that in a few places in the late 90s.  They were still on Google Maps for years.  The one that sticks out in my mind is near Corunna and Court.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on December 15, 2014, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on December 14, 2014, 06:16:10 PM

3rd, Nikerson, Eturia, and Florentia near the Freemont Bridge is the one that really stuck out in my mind, but I remember others when driving, but can't see them on Google Maps.

Just south of there, where Raye, Queen Anne, and 4th meet it a rather convoluted intersection. To the north, where Greenlake and Ravenna meet is a rather complicated intersection, though it's lacking in legs.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NE2 on December 15, 2014, 01:15:38 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 15, 2014, 01:05:53 AM
Only six at any one intersection.

Spui, not sure what you mean by the above.

When was the last time you were through there?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Sippy, you're counting multiple intersections as one.

sandwalk

My hometown has 2 instances where 4 streets (8 legs) come together, but that's because the secretive freemasons laid out the grid for our streets.

Link: https://goo.gl/maps/BNdHI

*Just 6 blocks east is the other intersection.

vtk

Whether those are indeed single intersections is debatable.  Google Maps' internal topology, as well as aerial imagery, suggests they are actually closely-spaced clusters of 3-leg, 4-leg, and/or 5-leg intersections.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: sandwalk on December 16, 2014, 11:01:44 AM
My hometown has 2 instances where 4 streets (8 legs) come together, but that's because the secretive freemasons laid out the grid for our streets.

This comes the closest to what I was envisioning. Yes, each one is a cluster of closely-spaced intersections, but the islands are so small that it's hard to separate them.

I remembered the 7 I was thinking of - Falls Church, VA. Now quite different.

mrsman

Quote from: Alps on December 23, 2014, 09:15:25 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on December 16, 2014, 11:01:44 AM

This comes the closest to what I was envisioning. Yes, each one is a cluster of closely-spaced intersections, but the islands are so small that it's hard to separate them.

I remembered the 7 I was thinking of - Falls Church, VA. Now quite different.

7 Corners in Falls Church is technically an intersection, but it definitely has the feel of a traffic circle to an extent, because the roadways for 7 and 50 are widely separated from each other.  I occasionally drive through there on Route 7 eastbound and there are three separate intersections that you pass:  Hillwood, US 50 north service road, US 50 south service road.  You have to watch what lane you're in and often have to change lanes in the middle to get to where you're going (similar to a traffic circle).  A far different feel than a 6-point intersection that you'd see in Chicago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.