News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways that once entered a state but no longer do

Started by bugo, June 08, 2015, 09:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: mgk920 on July 04, 2015, 12:50:37 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 08, 2015, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 08, 2015, 09:16:36 AM
US 61 used to serve Illinois but it was rerouted to go directly from Iowa to Wisconsin.

US-61 and US-151 only served Illinois during a temporary detour after the old bridge was closed, and before the new one was opened (1969-1982).

Yea, they crossed into Iowa on the old Sandy Hook toll bridge, only WI 35 continued southward from there into Illinois.

Mike
I never heard that name used for the old Eagle Point Bridge before.

History link 1: http://bridgehunter.com/ia/dubuque/eagle-point/  has errors on the closing date and no mention that US 61/151 was removed from it in 1969, but has many photos.

History link 2: http://www.encyclopediadubuque.org/index.php?title=EAGLE_POINT_BRIDGE

SSOWorld

US-33 used to enter Michigan from Indiana north of South Bend.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 08, 2015, 03:50:58 PM

I am aware of this.  What I am saying is that US 58 used to also enter Tennessee in the City of Bristol from 1933-66, then was moved northward to avoid going into Tennessee.

On State Street, I presume.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

national highway 1

US 160 used to enter Utah on what is now US 491 and 191.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on July 04, 2015, 07:14:32 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 08, 2015, 03:50:58 PM

I am aware of this.  What I am saying is that US 58 used to also enter Tennessee in the City of Bristol from 1933-66, then was moved northward to avoid going into Tennessee.

On State Street, I presume.

yes...

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on July 04, 2015, 01:15:39 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on July 04, 2015, 12:50:37 PM
Quote from: Brandon on June 08, 2015, 03:29:55 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 08, 2015, 09:16:36 AM
US 61 used to serve Illinois but it was rerouted to go directly from Iowa to Wisconsin.

US-61 and US-151 only served Illinois during a temporary detour after the old bridge was closed, and before the new one was opened (1969-1982).

Yea, they crossed into Iowa on the old Sandy Hook toll bridge, only WI 35 continued southward from there into Illinois.

Mike
I never heard that name used for the old Eagle Point Bridge before.

History link 1: http://bridgehunter.com/ia/dubuque/eagle-point/  has errors on the closing date and no mention that US 61/151 was removed from it in 1969, but has many photos.

History link 2: http://www.encyclopediadubuque.org/index.php?title=EAGLE_POINT_BRIDGE

You're right on the name of the bridge, but the spit interchange with WI 35 (that is still there) has always been called the Sandy Hook interchange.

Mike

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on July 04, 2015, 04:58:58 AM
US 611 New Jersey.

For that matter, US 46 Pennsylvsnia. Which ceased existing about the same time US 611 New Jersey was created!

The basic history as I understand it:
- US 46 originally crossed the Delaware River on a bridge next to the rail bridge by Delawanna Creek, and ended at US 611 in Portland, PA.
- What is now I-80 between the state line and exit 4 was built as a realignment of US 611. US 46 was realigned to end at US 611 in Columbia, NJ, immediately across the river from its former terminus. Today this is still the terminus of 46.
- When I-80 was designated, 611 was moved back to its old alignment on the PA side of the river, and later downgraded to a state route.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

noelbotevera

US 7 in New York. From the route's commissioning (1926) to 1928, US 7 ended in New York City. After 1928, US 7 was then realigned to end in Norwalk, ending at US 1. It was then realigned again in the mid-late 70s, and possibly the 1980s (a Michael Summa photo dating to 1970 or 1971 shows an "Exit 15 West Ave" sign on I-95), US 7 was then on today's freeway ending at I-95.

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

NE2

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 06, 2015, 02:09:35 AM
US 7 in New York. From the route's commissioning (1926) to 1928, US 7 ended in New York City.
No, it was moved by the time the 1927 log was published. And probably never officially accepted by New York.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Rothman

Quote from: Zeffy on July 04, 2015, 12:26:57 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 04, 2015, 11:53:23 AM
QuoteUS 5 New Hampshire.

I'd like to see the specifics of this.

From what I read, it was routed into New Hampshire along (what is now) NH 12 between North Walpole and Charlestown from 1927 to 1929.

I was also curious about this one.  Interesting.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Any others that qualify because the boundary moved, rather than the road/route?

iPhone

theline

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 04, 2015, 01:20:42 PM
US-33 used to enter Michigan from Indiana north of South Bend.

That's a truncation, which doesn't count, per the OP.

CNGL-Leudimin

I can think of Chinese G2012. Originally planned to start in Shaanxi as its name suggests, Dingbian-Wuwei expressway with Dingbian being in Shaanxi, its Eastern terminus at G20 was eventually built just inside Ningxia Huizu. (Now I see the trumpet is straddling the provincial border, but since the point the ramps from Westbound G20 to G2012 and vice-versa cross over G20 is barely in Ningxia Huizu it still counts for me)
Quote from: empirestate on July 06, 2015, 01:22:41 PM
Any others that qualify because the boundary moved, rather than the road/route?

Random spam

If we consider Russia to be the succesor of the Soviet Union, then there's a bunch of former Soviet routes in Central Asia which ended up outside Russia, like M41 in Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

Speaking of Central Asia, they've built quite a few avoiding roads in recent years: From Almaty to Shymkent without going via Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek to Osh without entering Uzbekistan, Tashkent to Samarakind avoiding Kazakhstan, and only one border crossing rather than 3 between Tashkent and Dunshabe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.