News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Broken yellow lines on small residential streets

Started by mcmc, July 29, 2015, 10:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 01, 2015, 04:54:59 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on July 31, 2015, 06:31:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 31, 2015, 01:11:44 PM
Someone trying to parallel park, no.  You're supposed to wait behind them. 

Is this actually the case? This specific scenario was not covered in the PA drivers' manual when I got my license, but I've generally assumed that it was acceptable to cross the line:

- To pass a vehicle stopped dead in its tracks for no apparent reason
- To pass a bicycle, farm equipment, or moving objects unable to maintain at least 50% of the speed limit.
- To pass a vehicle in the process of parallel parking
- To pass a vehicle waiting to make a turn
- To circumvent an obstacle in the road

Of course in any of these cases, I'd use extreme caution and only do so when the opposing lane was clear.

But you did cover that a double line meant no passing, correct?  3 and 4 are absolutely passing situations. I'm not sure if #2 is actually written as a law. #1 is acceptable but you better be sure he's not stopped for a legit reason.  #5 is acceptable. 

Here in Florida the rule is you can pass an "obstruction" on a double yellow. That's generally accepted to mean a parked car, a slow moving vehicle like a bicycle or tractor, a mailman stopping at mailboxes, a garbage truck picking up trash, someone waiting to parallel park, animals in the road, or anything else blocking your lane. Of course you have to do it safely.

roadfro

Quote from: Zeffy on August 02, 2015, 10:36:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2015, 07:10:16 PM
I have seen many areas where no lines are painted in urban areas even on busy arterials.  They know usually that people stop to park, pick up passengers,  pass the garbage truck etc. so it allows to go around them.  In Newark, NJ some roads would have only the center line painted near intersections for no passing, but about 500 feet away from the intersection it would end.
Trenton is a prime example of no markings on an arterial:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.222884,-74.764395,3a,90y,357.05h,88.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDDY6KtFgmOECwOEHDoG7hg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Back to the topic on hand, I think that broken yellow on a residential street is a bit dangerous, especially if there is a curve or hill or other obstruction where you may not see another car until it's too late. Plus, you are generally supposed to speed up to pass someone, which on a residential street, can be problematic and dangerous due to pedestrians walking around town.

RE: Lack of lane markings on an arterial

In urban areas, a yellow center line (regardless of type) is only required on arterials and collector roads wider than 20 feet which have greater than 6,000 ADT (however, their use where ADT is above 4,000 is recommended). Also, a yellow center line is required on any two-way roadway with three or more lanes of traffic. (2009 MUTCD Sec 3B.01)

For rural roads greater than 18 feet wide, a center line is encouraged if the ADT is above 3,000.

Also, using white lane lines separating traffic traveling in one direction is only required on freeways and Interstate highways. It is encouraged whenever the roadway is intended to operate with multiple lanes in one direction. (2009 MUTCD Sec 3B.04)

RE: Broken yellow on residential streets

As can be seen above, there is nothing requiring a center line on a residential street at all. Even where a broken line is used on a residential street, there is nothing preventing switching to a no passing marking style when approaching a curve or other sight distance issue. I would expect the engineer to specify a striping change in designing striping for a roadway with such conditions.

BTW: Technically, you are not supposed to speed up to pass. The passed vehicle should be going slower than you (but below the limit enough to be an impediment) and you maintain your previous higher speed during the passing maneuver. With that said, it is quite common for many people (myself included) to speed up while passing...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.