intermittent pavement markings between dual turn lanes

Started by johndoe, December 26, 2015, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

Approaching intersections it seems to make sense to have solid markings between different movements (left, through) and intermittent markings between lanes with the same destination.  This is usually done around here for through lanes, but not for turn lanes (they almost always do solid markings between dual lefts or rights).  Do your local entities do the same?

pumpkineater2

I've never seen it any other way than solid lines between dual turn lanes here in AZ. Surely it is done in other places though?
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

MASTERNC

Quote from: johndoe on December 26, 2015, 10:55:50 AM
Approaching intersections it seems to make sense to have solid markings between different movements (left, through) and intermittent markings between lanes with the same destination.  This is usually done around here for through lanes, but not for turn lanes (they almost always do solid markings between dual lefts or rights).  Do your local entities do the same?

Maryland uses the broken lines to separate the two turn lanes

https://goo.gl/maps/Jf6ms21eVQu

cl94

Almost everything I've seen in the Northeast uses solid lines. Note also that, if traffic is high enough to warrant dual turn lanes, there are often solid lines between all lanes in New York regardless of jurisdiction to discourage lane changes at intersections.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mohkfry

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 26, 2015, 11:20:24 PM
Quote from: johndoe on December 26, 2015, 10:55:50 AM

Maryland uses the broken lines to separate the two turn lanes

https://goo.gl/maps/Jf6ms21eVQu

INDOT has one example of this at Indiana 49 and the Indiana Toll Road entrance in Chrsterton, Indiana. Everywhere else, however, uses standard solid white lines to separate the turn lane from the through lanes as well as each individual lane in the turn bay

myosh_tino

How about both.

The De Anza Blvd/Stevens Creek Blvd intersection in Cupertino, CA has double left-turn lanes on all 4 approaches.  The south, east and west approaches have dashed lines separating the turn lanes while the north approach has a solid line separating the turn lanes.

https://goo.gl/maps/U4buh5V92X72
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jeffandnicole

The vast majority of NJ dual left turn lanes have a solid line. Here's an unusual example of one with a short stretch of broken lines:

https://goo.gl/maps/M319B6nb8EJ2

Alps

Double-width solid lines should be used to separate turn lanes from through lanes, and single-width lines should be used between same-direction lanes at the intersection, whether solid or broken/"intermittent." (Note - the MUTCD only calls for a double-width line when a through lane is becoming a turn lane.)

UCFKnights

In my high school drivers ed course back in the day (South Florida), they claimed the solid lines separating lanes was designed to help you decide whether you could make the light... if your car was past the area where there were solid lines separating lanes while the light changed to yellow and you were going approximately the speed limit, you should be fine to proceed through the yellow light. If the lines were dashed next to where you were, you need to stop.  This clearly isn't true in other areas, but seemed to work well there. Turn lanes always seem to use solid lines in Florida though but I really like this method for the thru lanes, so I hope to see its usage expanding for turn lanes (well, at a normal speed of vehicle travelling in the lane, not the speed limit since we're making a turn)

Orlando has been testing a "SIGNAL AHEAD" pavement marking placed for the same purpose (you pass the text, you should be fine if the light turns yellow).

Changing lanes over a single white line is permissible. A double white is used to indicate you may not pass over it.

roadfro

^ I think that can be a good guide, but the line length has nothing to do with determining whether to go through the light or not. The length of the dilemma zone has several factors that come into play (vehicle speed, grade, braking distance, driver reaction time, yellow time, etc.) that it is unlikely to find a line length that would be definitive for all vehicles.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Slight revival because I failed to notice this thread back in 2015, but it has been one of my interests lately...

Edmonton, Alberta uses dashed lines in all cases (in other words, what the OP was looking for), except at roundabouts. Here's an example of a dual left turn lane. Note the lack of solid lines...

Vancouver, British Columbia uses an indecipherable combination of all solid and solid/dashed. Here's the same intersection from opposite angles...

The only thing I know, for sure, is that solid lines are used approaching crosswalks. This sometimes holds true at intersections, such as in the above images, but it's hit and miss elsewhere.

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadfro on December 30, 2015, 07:48:42 AM
^ I think that can be a good guide, but the line length has nothing to do with determining whether to go through the light or not. The length of the dilemma zone has several factors that come into play (vehicle speed, grade, braking distance, driver reaction time, yellow time, etc.) that it is unlikely to find a line length that would be definitive for all vehicles.
Yeah, obviously there are multiple factors. As I said, they taught that as a guide for going approximately the speed limit and very comfortably stopping. Obviously the road designers know all of the normal factors for the given intersection, so I found it generally worked really well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.