Dilemma: Counties that re-district and their signage/labeling options

Started by txstateends, October 30, 2011, 07:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

http://jacksonvilleprogress.com/local/x1415459106/After-redistricting-county-looks-at-road-signs

Cherokee County, in east TX, just went through re-districting so each precinct (post-Census) would have an equal representation of citizens.  Some residents now find themselves in different precincts.  The county, since the start of labeling each county road with a number, has used the PNNN style (meaning Precinct number, then 3 more digits).  Cherokee County doesn't use the yellow-on-blue pentagons like some other counties use, instead it's green blades with white characters (like "CR 1001").

County commissioners have decided not to renumber the roads, even with the re-districting.  So, their dilemma--how do they mark the roads so that it is clear which actual precinct a road is in?

They've discussed different color blades, having 2 different signs, or another character/number somehow placed on the sign to show the precinct.  Before they get started, they're consulting with their state Senator (who just *happens* to have previously served on the TX Transportation Commission (which oversees TxDOT)) to see if there are any new federal regulations regarding signage (like Clearview, maybe?) that they need to be aware of so they don't have to do the signs twice.

I thought of something, but I don't know if they'd go for it or not. 

(Sorry, my futile attempt at show-and-tell... maybe if I sprung for a real paint program it'd be different  :cool: )

Anyway, something like the county shape, with the precinct number in it (and I know, NOT using Arial either), then the CR and the number.  Oh well, I'm sure they'll come up with a solution.

Anyone else seen this, and what was done locally about it?
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Scott5114

Never heard of voting precincts being used to number county roads before... wouldn't think it would be too much of a good idea, considering they do usually change every 10 years like they did in this case.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

realjd

Why does the street signage need to indicate county precinct at all?

txstateends

Quote from: realjd on November 03, 2011, 07:33:40 AM
Why does the street signage need to indicate county precinct at all?

Good question...it never did before.  I would guess most average folks just care that their mailing address is right and that they'll get an ambulance out their way when they need one.  Maybe the commissioners more than likely are overthinking the issue.  I've not seen any other CR signage from other counties having to be re-signed/re-numbered/re-labeled/etc. before.

txstateends

UPDATE:::::

http://jacksonvilleprogress.com/local/x869150220/Commissioners-on-the-road-to-sign-changes

The county commissioners in Cherokee County decided to go ahead with plans to add precinct numbers to the lower right corner of new county road signs.  They were told that federal regulations now require blade signs to be bigger than what the county used before:  previously, they used 6-inch-tall blades with 4-inch letters; now they'll have to be 8 inches tall by 18 inches wide with 6-inch letters.

The replacement blades will first appear at intersections where the precinct number has changed, followed later by the others as they age, rust, or are damaged.

Too bad there's no artwork, mockup, or otherwise to show what the commissioners approved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.