News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Writing on maps and not being able to erase it because you stuck tape over it

Started by bandit957, November 10, 2019, 05:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone have this experience?

You write or draw on a map. Years later, you want to erase what you've written. But you discover you've stuck Scotch tape on that part of the map because it was tearing along the crease. So you can't erase what's under the tape.

I guess you're pretty much out of luck when that happens.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Verlanka

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2019, 01:50:57 AM
I try not to write on my maps to begin with.
Especially when they are so damaged you can no longer use them.

jakeroot

allniter89

I used a laminated Motor Carriers Road Atlas when I drove 18 wheels. If it wasn't obvious how to get from A to B I used a dry erase marker to check the best way from A to B. Lay a ruler on the map at point A the other end of the ruler to point B, draw a line to get a possible best way to A to B. When the trip is done use a paper towel/napkin to wipe the page clean.

If you can't laminate what you need you can use a page protector, I'm not sure what the official name is. Its a two-sided plastic sleeve the size
of 3 hole notebook paper you could slide your paper into & mark it.
Hope this helps.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jakeroot

kphoger

Finally!  I've been waiting for someone to post this topic...

But no, I generally avoid marking on a map if I'm not comfortable with those marks being there forever.  If I want to "start over", then I usually have an extra map lying around to use.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I have a current map of California which I use for highlighting roads I've been on.  I would never write on a vintage map but I did ruin a couple Rand McNally Atlases as a kid, never taped them though. 

GCrites

Quote from: allniter89 on November 11, 2019, 11:56:06 PM

If you can't laminate what you need you can use a page protector, I'm not sure what the official name is. Its a two-sided plastic sleeve the size
of 3 hole notebook paper you could slide your paper into & mark it.

"single pocket pages" is the hobby supply term

GCrites

Quote from: bandit957 on November 10, 2019, 05:52:40 PM
Anyone have this experience?

You write or draw on a map. Years later, you want to erase what you've written. But you discover you've stuck Scotch tape on that part of the map because it was tearing along the crease. So you can't erase what's under the tape.

I guess you're pretty much out of luck when that happens.

Sounds like you ruined it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.