Creative Solutions For Danglers on Mixed-Case Street Name Sign

Started by Brian556, May 09, 2020, 12:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

That's the same rule they use on the electronic stop name displays inside Pierce Transit buses and PT-operated Sound Transit coaches.

J3ebrules

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

JoePCool14

Yikes, no thank you. Even if that was in the correct font, that would be a hard pass from me.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

steviep24

That sign is re listed on Ebay. Anyway I stole the photo from them.

marleythedog

Hazel Park, MI: Madɢe  Evelʏn Maᴘledale

Bottomridɢe Dr. appears to be a fluke. There's a Bottomridge Dr in Lakeside, FL, which clicking around appears to use mixed case Arial but with proper lowercase descenders.

mrsman

The danglers are: g, j, p,q, y

I'm not understanding why these letters cannot simply be written in their current form, but just simply shifted up to avoid dangling.

So while p and q do dangle, why not just write them as backwards d and b without danging and without reverting to their capital form.  A j can be formed by adding a tail to an i.   A capital Y looks like a lower case y without dangling.  A g can be made by adding a tail to the new q.

renegade

Or 'ALL CAPS' can be used, thereby avoiding the issue entirely.  Anyone who believes the signs are YELLING at them can go pound sand.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

mrsman

Quote from: renegade on May 24, 2020, 11:12:39 AM
Or 'ALL CAPS' can be used, thereby avoiding the issue entirely.  Anyone who believes the signs are YELLING at them can go pound sand.

It's not that.  I believe FHWA is requiring all new road signs to be mixed case.

roadfro

Quote from: mrsman on May 24, 2020, 10:53:00 AM

I'm not understanding why these letters cannot simply be written in their current form, but just simply shifted up to avoid dangling.

So while p and q do dangle, why not just write them as backwards d and b without danging and without reverting to their capital form.  A j can be formed by adding a tail to an i.   A capital Y looks like a lower case y without dangling.  A g can be made by adding a tail to the new q.

I have seen signs where the individual danglers are shifted up. Looks a little odd, but less so than throwing in a capital letter instead.

Not fully following your thoughts on alternative letter forms for dangling letters... However, another thought is to use a slightly larger sign (either in every case, or just for signs with danglers) and then you don't need any modification to sign layouts. Or shift the baseline up a bit on the sign to fit in the dangler.

Quote from: mrsman on May 24, 2020, 11:18:31 AM

It's not that.  I believe FHWA is requiring all new road signs to be mixed case.

Yes, MUTCD requires all new street name signs to use mixed case.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

Quote from: roadfro on May 24, 2020, 01:11:10 PM

I have seen signs where the individual danglers are shifted up. Looks a little odd, but less so than throwing in a capital letter instead.

Not fully following your thoughts on alternative letter forms for dangling letters... However, another thought is to use a slightly larger sign (either in every case, or just for signs with danglers) and then you don't need any modification to sign layouts. Or shift the baseline up a bit on the sign to fit in the dangler.

I was merely pointing out that the letters can be easily made without dangling.  To the extent that letters look like inverses of other letters that don't dangle.  Yes, merely shifting the letters upward should be enough, if the sign leaves little room for dangling.  And I agree that adding a G or J is ridiculous when meaning G or J.

Yes, MUTCD requires all new street name signs to use mixed case.
[/quote]

CtrlAltDel

Did you mean something like this?

That would work, I guess, as far as descenders go. Given, however, that the reason the MUTCD requires mixed case letters is to increase legibility and that that increase comes in no small part from the distinctive shapes of ascenders and descenders, I don't think this is the way to go.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

mrsman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 24, 2020, 03:12:35 PM

Did you mean something like this?

That would work, I guess, as far as descenders go. Given, however, that the reason the MUTCD requires mixed case letters is to increase legibility and that that increase comes in no small part from the distinctive shapes of ascenders and descenders, I don't think this is the way to go.

Ideally, yes, we would have the 5 descender letters actually descend below the line is best.  But where there is no room, it is far better to have the sign above than BottomridGe, which is inane.

RX78NT-1

The older style of pole-mounted signs in Ankeny, Iowa, display the main thoroughfare (US 69) as "AnKenY Blvd, as seen here, and keeps the last two uppercase letters the same size as the lowercase ones surrounding them. I suppose that takes care of both the danglers and the... tall ones?

Oddly enough, all other signs from the same era don't do this - just AnKenY Blvd.

Thankfully, all the newer signs have stopped doing this.

Scott5114

Just stop being so damn cheap and make the sign as big as it needs to be. MUTCD says the size of a sign is determined by the legend, not the other way around. If the legend doesn't fit on the panel, you make the panel bigger, you don't mess with the text.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

Right.  Because federal agencies are never wrong.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 04, 2020, 02:03:51 PM
Just stop being so damn cheap and make the sign as big as it needs to be. MUTCD says the size of a sign is determined by the legend, not the other way around. If the legend doesn't fit on the panel, you make the panel bigger, you don't mess with the text.

Many people on here believe the APLs are too big, constantly complaining about the cost.  The amount of money spent on items not visible to us is incredibly large, and yet many focus their attention at the relative pennies spent on visible things like bigger green signs.

GaryV

Quote from: RX78NT-1 on June 04, 2020, 12:47:50 PM
The older style of pole-mounted signs in Ankeny, Iowa, display the main thoroughfare (US 69) as "AnKenY Blvd, as seen here, and keeps the last two uppercase letters the same size as the lowercase ones surrounding them. I suppose that takes care of both the danglers and the... tall ones?

Oddly enough, all other signs from the same era don't do this - just AnKenY Blvd.

Thankfully, all the newer signs have stopped doing this.

They seem to have had no problem with the lower case L and D in Blvd being ascenders.  So why the K?

machias

Quote from: renegade on June 04, 2020, 03:04:08 PM

It actually has to do with the speed of word recognition. It's easier to discern letter shapes in mixed case legend versus all-caps legend.

Scott5114

Okay, who's spent more time and money researching road sign legibility, you or FHWA?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: machias on June 07, 2020, 11:29:36 AM
It actually has to do with the speed of word recognition. It's easier to discern letter shapes in mixed case legend versus all-caps legend.

Very much agree. When the letters are blocky and all the same height, you have to be closer before you can distinguish them.

renegade

Quote from: machias on June 07, 2020, 11:29:36 AMIt actually has to do with the speed of word recognition. It's easier to discern letter shapes in mixed case legend versus all-caps legend.
So improperly-dangled letters don't add to the confusion?

roadfro

Quote from: renegade on June 08, 2020, 02:27:06 PM
Quote from: machias on June 07, 2020, 11:29:36 AMIt actually has to do with the speed of word recognition. It's easier to discern letter shapes in mixed case legend versus all-caps legend.
So improperly-dangled letters don't add to the confusion?

I would say they do. However, I would speculate that improperly-dangled letters in a mixed-case word are still easier to discern from a distance than an all upper-case legend.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.