News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Beelines

Started by bugo, May 31, 2010, 10:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: PennDOTFan on June 02, 2010, 09:45:08 PM
There is the opposite, Street Rd. (PA 132) in Philadelphia's northern suburbs.

PA 926 in Chester County, too.

As for "Esplanade", there's one of those in Pelham Manor, NY. One down in The Bronx, too, according to the street signs - although officially it's Esplanade Avenue.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hm insulators

Quote from: corco on June 01, 2010, 11:12:21 PM
According to the official Arizona map, it gets the name "Beeline Hwy" as soon as it leaves Mesa and keeps the designation all the way to Payson. There's a Beeline Cafe at the northern terminus in Payson. I'm not quite sure why that name came into existence- that would be interesting to know.

When Beeline Highway was built in the 1950s, it was called that because it dramatically shortened the time necessary to drive to Payson on the winding old Bush Highway (part of which I think was dirt!). In the last fifteen or twenty years, the two-lane Beeline Highway was widened and straightened so now it's a beautiful four-lane highway all the way from Mesa to Payson.

On another subject: for you "Esplanade" fans, Redondo Beach, California has one running right along the ocean.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

yanksfan6129

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 02, 2010, 08:34:46 PM
How's this for interesting?

"Boulevard" No name, just "Boulevard." (Richmond, VA)

"Road St." (abbreviated "Rd St" on signs - Elizabeth City, NC)

Mountain Lakes, NJ (right outside of my own town) has "Boulevard"---it's a nice little road.

mapman1071

Phoenix Has A Lane Ave and W North Ln/E North Ln
also "Air Line"

74/171FAN

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on June 03, 2010, 07:58:05 PM

Mountain Lakes, NJ (right outside of my own town) has "Boulevard"---it's a nice little road.
US 1/US 301 in Colonial Heights, VA is also just "Boulevard".
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

xcellntbuy

"Boulevard" is also a city street in Kingston, NY and "Water Street Road" is a rural road in Columbia County, NY.

national highway 1

There is this road in Richmond, NSW called The Driftway.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

yakra

Just plain "Parkway" (Bethel, ME)
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

Maine also has the Air Line Road, Route 9 east of Bangor. The etymology here is that the Air Line is a fast & direct route -- a beeline -- between Bangor & Calais.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bugo

Quote from: yakra on June 10, 2010, 03:15:20 PM
Maine also has the Air Line Road, Route 9 east of Bangor. The etymology here is that the Air Line is a fast & direct route -- a beeline -- between Bangor & Calais.

Is that how Airline Highway (US 61) in Louisiana got its name?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2010, 04:12:52 PM

Is that how Airline Highway (US 61) in Louisiana got its name?

Pretty much
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mightyace

Exactly.  It was also used in rail road parlance.  Part of the current CSX in the southeast along the Atlantic Coast was once the Seaboard Air Line Railroad.

Also, the track that is being bypassed in Chicago and may become a future highway is called the St. Charles Air Line.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.