News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Best/Favorite State Line Pull-off?

Started by thenetwork, November 25, 2020, 06:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Since I moved out west umpteen years ago, I noticed that a lot of the state line crossings are popular for people to pull off and get their picture next to the signs, and the DOTs usually allow some room for people to safely pull off of the highway to do it.

I didn't see it as much back in the midwest/east as many borders happen in areas where it's damn near impossible to pull off and get out for a selfie or group photo at a state line sign (bridges, urban areas, etc...).

What are some of the best State Line crossings where you could safely get out and get a photo while still along the highway? (Note:  I am not considering Four Corners as a "pulloff" as it is it's own little monument which requires a fee to get to).

My work takes me a lot along I-70 in Colorado and Utah, and despite that area being a relatively remote stretch of highway, whenever I cross the border there, more times than not there is usually someone who stops to get a photo of them standing by one or the two big border signs -- likely a vehicle on a cross-country trek.

Other favorite state line pulloffs???

oscar

My favorite is the Alaska Highway crossing of the international boundary between Alaska and Canada's Yukon Territory. The customs checkpoints are set back enough that you won't be pestered by border agents as you take photos of the border signs, monuments, the clearcut swath following the border through the forest, and visitor exhibits. There's even a bench with border markings, where you can sit with one butt cheek in Alaska and the other in the Yukon.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

dlsterner

One that comes to mind is the one on US 441 at the North Carolina & Tennessee border, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

The Appalachian Trail passes through there as well.

NWI_Irish96

Does my living room qualify as a good place to take a picture of a state line?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

I'm fond of the California/Oregon State Line for some reason on US 199.  The turnout is very generous and has a peaceful setting in a heavily forested area.  I like stopping at the Collier Tunnel just south in California also.

thspfc

Welcome to Colorful Colorado is an interesting one, especially considering that most of the busiest border crossings are in very not colorful areas.

Henry

I love how the Peach State's welcome signs reference Ray Charles with "We're Glad Georgia's On Your Mind"; also, the peach is an added bonus.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: dlsterner on November 25, 2020, 06:52:46 PM
One that comes to mind is the one on US 441 at the North Carolina & Tennessee border, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

The Appalachian Trail passes through there as well.

The AT also passes through Sam's Gap, at I-26. Great views, and really gives you an up-close perspective on the dimensions of said interstate
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.