News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Henderson Bridge RI

Started by Mergingtraffic, November 29, 2013, 08:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Anybody know if the wrong RI 152 button copy or other original signage still exists on the Henderson Bridge in E. Providence??

or the button copy on US-6A EB by I-295?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Beeper1

All the old signage on both directions of the Henderson bridge is still there, and probably will be for an eternity since RI hardly ever replaces BGSs on these little stub freeways.  For a while (2011-ish), the "All Traffic Must Exit" panel on the last eastbound gantry fell off and partially revealed a long covered up button copy BGS for US-44/Taunton Ave, that would have been for the next exit on the highway had it actually been built.  It took almost a year, but RIDOT finally re-covered it up.

The I-295 button copy on US-6A is still there as well.   

NE2

The Henderson Bridge probably would have been US 44 had both approaches been completed.

Former signage on I-195 east, with a blank above Gano Street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on November 30, 2013, 12:24:42 AMFor a while (2011-ish), the "All Traffic Must Exit" panel on the last eastbound gantry fell off and partially revealed a long covered up button copy BGS for US-44/Taunton Ave, that would have been for the next exit on the highway had it actually been built.  It took almost a year, but RIDOT finally re-covered it up.
Does anyone have a photo of this? I'm crying inside for having missed it.

Mergingtraffic

Good if they're still there, I was just reading online about adding bike lanes on there and wonder if that would endanger the signage.

If they're there I'll take a trip out there and get some pics.

http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2013/05/new-bicycle-route-over-henderson-bridge-opened-fridayready.html
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NE2

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2013, 04:49:30 PM
Quote from: Beeper1 on November 30, 2013, 12:24:42 AMFor a while (2011-ish), the "All Traffic Must Exit" panel on the last eastbound gantry fell off and partially revealed a long covered up button copy BGS for US-44/Taunton Ave, that would have been for the next exit on the highway had it actually been built.  It took almost a year, but RIDOT finally re-covered it up.
Does anyone have a photo of this? I'm crying inside for having missed it.
Damn. I thought I saw it on the Goog but it's not showing up. It's barely visible on the Bing.

But I did find this so it's not a complete loss:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

southshore720

Quote from: Beeper1 on November 30, 2013, 12:24:42 AM
All the old signage on both directions of the Henderson bridge is still there, and probably will be for an eternity since RI hardly ever replaces BGSs on these little stub freeways.
Great point Beeper...another area of button-copy is right after the Newport Bridge on RI 138 North on the failed stub of "I-895."  The signage here is absolutely abhorrent.  Why they didn't just dig this entire area up and erect a new 4-lane boulevard with a nice tree-lined island with decorative light towers (very Newport, don't you think?) is beyond me.

Getting back on topic, the Henderson Bridge is such a waste of taxpayer $$$.  I understand the convenience for those on the East Side of Providence and those in East Providence...but it just doesn't seem worthy of the expense.  If they're going to spend $$, a "wish list" item would be to rebuild a smaller, stabler bridge and extend the RI 152 designation (as seemed to be intended with the ancient signage goof that NE2 points out) to keep the road maintained under state road standards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.