News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-11 PEL Study for Las Vegas

Started by brad2971, June 22, 2022, 11:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevashe

Quote from: US 89 on July 20, 2022, 11:37:29 AM
Quote from: roadfro on July 20, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
Quote from: DenverBrian on July 19, 2022, 09:17:15 PM
Please do not let Nevada become California with use of "the 95," "the 515," etc. :D :D :D
You're about 20 years too late... That verbiage has been very present in the Las Vegas area for years. (Funnily enough, it is not present in northern Nevada, similarly to how it's also not very present in northern California.)

It's also a thing in Phoenix now, from what I hear. Really anywhere with a large amount of specifically Southern California transplants.

Arizona in general has long used a blend of the usual nomenclature and the southern California thing, resulting in people saying things like "the I-10" which just sounds absolutely terrible to me :puke:

At least, that's what my friend from Tucson tells me.

Scott5114

Please do not let Nevada become California with use of "the 95," "the 515," etc. :D :D :D
You're about 20 years too late... That verbiage has been very present in the Las Vegas area for years. (Funnily enough, it is not present in northern Nevada, similarly to how it's also not very present in northern California.)

What exactly is the usual colloquial way of reading highway numbers in Vegas?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2022, 08:37:44 PM

It's very similar to southern California. A lot of people say "the 215", etc. Other than that, usually it's something like "I-15" or "US 95". There's not really a colloquialism for state highways though, since they aren't really prevalent in Vegas compared to actual road names.

I haven't lived in Vegas for 20 years now (since moving to Reno for college and never really leaving), although I visit family and have work trips down there a few times a year. So it's possible I'm not privy to any recent shifts in colloquial highway references...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

heynow415

Quote from: roadfro on July 21, 2022, 11:37:08 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 20, 2022, 08:37:44 PM

It's very similar to southern California. A lot of people say "the 215", etc. Other than that, usually it's something like "I-15" or "US 95". There's not really a colloquialism for state highways though, since they aren't really prevalent in Vegas compared to actual road names.

I haven't lived in Vegas for 20 years now (since moving to Reno for college and never really leaving), although I visit family and have work trips down there a few times a year. So it's possible I'm not privy to any recent shifts in colloquial highway references...

My aunt has lived in Vegas since 1973 uses "the" (15, 95, 215).  And she grew up on Lawn Guylind, New Yawk with the accent to boot so she didn't pick it up in SoCal.  OTOH, metro NYC has lots of named expressways/parkways like "the" LIE, "the" Southern State, "the" Van Wyck" so maybe that's it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.