News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Same control city for both roads at an interchange/junction

Started by TheStranger, August 13, 2010, 12:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

This was mentioned months ago in the Road-Related Illustrations thread...a rare practice but something that occurs once in a while:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=575.msg65001#msg65001
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=575.msg65040#msg65040
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=575.msg65042#msg65042

Thought of it again when I saw this photo on Raymond Yu's flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondyue/4886864105/

I-405 south here near Irvine is signed for San Diego (which it reaches via I-5)...but in the mid-1990s Route 73 sign added after the toll road opened, it is signed for "San Diego VIA TOLL ROAD," probably the first time I've seen this type of legend on a CalTrans sign!

Are there any other present-day examples of this beyond what's listed here?
Chris Sampang

tdindy88

I-94 Westbound in Porter County in Northwest Indiana near the junction with the Indiana Toll Road has Chicago via I-94 on one sign and Chicago via Toll Road on the other.

Truvelo

Speed limits limit life

huskeroadgeek

When approaching the eastern I-40/I-55 split eastbound in West Memphis, AR, both I-40 and I-55 use Memphis as one control city along with another. The control cities for I-40 East are Memphis and Nashville, and the control cities for I-55 South are Memphis and Jackson, MS.

Another one that technically qualifies is the I-80/I-680 split NE of Council Bluffs, IA. Both use Omaha in some form. The control cities for I-80 are Council Bluffs and Omaha, and the control cities for I-680 are Sioux City and North Omaha.

The I-80/I-280 split in Illinois before the Quad Cities sort of does this for Des Moines, although Des Moines doesn't actually appear as a control city for either road. Instead there is a sign before approaching the junction that says "Des Moines use I-80 or I-280".

TheStranger

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on August 13, 2010, 01:44:35 PM
The I-80/I-280 split in Illinois before the Quad Cities sort of does this for Des Moines, although Des Moines doesn't actually appear as a control city for either road. Instead there is a sign before approaching the junction that says "Des Moines use I-80 or I-280".

There's a similar type of sign marking I-238 and I-880 as the truck route for westbound 580 travelers in Castro Valley:
https://www.aaroads.com/california/images580/i-580_wb_exit_034_01.jpg (note the all-caps freeway name too!)
Chris Sampang

Michael in Philly

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 13, 2010, 01:05:40 PM
I-94 Westbound in Porter County in Northwest Indiana near the junction with the Indiana Toll Road has Chicago via I-94 on one sign and Chicago via Toll Road on the other.

That's actually standard practice in France, I believe (Europeans seem to be more reliant on destinations than route numbers in navigating, so their signs are far more generous with destinations - often to the point of having too much to read on one sign - and far more consistent about it).  If I'm not mistaken the law requires that if, at a given intersection, there's a sign pointing to a given city by toll road, an alternate, free route needs to be shown as well.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

english si

Quote from: Truvelo on August 13, 2010, 01:30:29 PM
There's one near me which shows two ways of getting to London.
Likewise, just down the road (part of the same junction complex) The NORTH WEST two different ways.

There's five ways to get towards London from the M6 near Stafford (there's overlap - three ways past Birmingham and two routes to London) - M6-M5-M42-M40, M6-M42-M40, M6-M1, M6 Toll-M42-M40, M6 Toll-M6-M1.

I've got lost quite a lot in France on little D roads where the control destination is Paris (miles away) or some nearby big town on both routes and you need the very small places signed under it to know which way unless you can see the little thing telling you what number road you need.

Brandon

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 13, 2010, 01:05:40 PM

I-65 northbound has the same thing approaching I-80/94.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

UptownRoadGeek

Ian

Not the same control cities, but it both shows directions to ME 24 and I-295:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

BigMattFromTexas

Rio Grande Valley via U.S. 77 or RGV via 281. There's a BGS on I-37. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.
BigMatt

joseph1723

Not quite it but these two signs on the QEW in Ontario show the way to two different areas of the same city (downtown and general area)

Scott5114

Courtesy Eric Stuve. Since replaced–this gantry now has a distance sign in the middle and the I-35 sign has no control city, just "RIGHT 3 LANES".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

golden eagle

Not quite the same but I-20 westbound in Pearl has signage for South Jackson, while I-55 has North Jackson as a control city. I-55 southbound through Ridgeland is signed as Jackson, while I-220 has signage for West Jackson.

tdindy88

Another example I recall from Indiana, at the junction of I-69 and I-469 on the southwest side of Fort Wayne, heading east on Lafayette Center Rd. toward I-469, there is a sign for I-469 that says Fort Wayne and one for I-69 North, even though 469 only goes around Fort Wayne not through it, I-69 is a slightly more direct route. Personally, I think the control city for 469 east should be Toledo to direct traffic from US 24 but that's just me.

nyratk1

2Co5_14

Coelacanth

This thread reminds me of an old joke.

A guy is driving thru rural Vermont looking for some town. He comes to a fork in the road which has one of those crossroad signs in the shape of arrows pointing to the various destinations. The town he's looking for is indicated on both the left fork and the right fork.

Confused, he spots a (famously taciturn Vermonter) local farmer and decides to ask directions.

"Does it matter which road I take???!"

"Not to me it doesn't".

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.