News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do Luncheonettes still exist?

Started by roadman65, May 22, 2024, 09:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In New Jersey it was common for a sundry store to have a counter with service inside them. Many coined the term " Luncheonette" and it was common in New Jersey in the seventies and into the eighties.

In Florida we have them, but the term is not common to be used.  Is this a regional or outdated term?

luncheonette
noun
lun·�cheon·�ette ˌlən-chə-ˈnet
: a place where light lunches are sold

Courtesy Miriam- Webster Dictionary
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

Woolworth had those back in the day.

Max Rockatansky

Regional term.  I've never heard it used by anyone outside of the vicinity of New Jersey.

In_Correct

We call them Snack Bars.  :popcorn:  :coffee:
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Road Hog

My favorite Bowie song is Luncheonette City.

Rothman

A "sundry store" is another unique term...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

We actually had a chain called "Sundry Store" in this area of Kentucky. It thrived in the 70s and 80s and was quite a big thing in smaller towns. I think it was based out of Portsmouth, Ohio. It was the most inexpensive place around to buy health and beauty supplies, small appliances, records/tapes/CDs, and other items.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.