News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Favorite Highway

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 18, 2009, 10:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

When I was living in Midland, Michigan, my Dad took the family to Beaver Island in the mid and late 1960's.  I liked it when we traveled M-115 from west of Farwell to south of Cadillac, then US-131 to Mancelona, and then M-66 to Charlevoix, so those are my favorites.  I also like driving on Ontario Hwy 17 from Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa in the Dominion of Canada.  Some of my other favorites are U.S. Route 66 and US-99. :coffee: 

xcellntbuy

When I lived in New York, the Taconic State Parkway.  Since moving to Florida 13 years ago, FL A1A in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties and US 1, the Overseas Highway.  I have been as far south as the Seven-Mile Bridge.

shadyjay

My Favs...

Turnpike-limited access:  Connecticut Turnpike.  I hate the traffic, but I just get a feeling when I drive it.  I remember the tolls and the original all-text blue signs.  I also enjoy stopping at the service areas.  Lots of memories on that road when I was real young.
Interstate:  I-91 north of Brattleboro VT, I-89 in all of VT
US Routes:  US 302 from Twin Mountain to Intervale, NH (through Crawford Notch)
State Route-limited access:  CT 9, because I grew up on it and have watched it grow, though the Middletown lights aggravate me to the point of no return.
State Route-surface:  VT 100 (3 1/2 miles from my house), NH 112 (Kancamagus Hwy) from Lincoln to Conway

corco

Washington:

Interstate - I-5 between the SR 11 junctions- that's a no brainer
US- 12, but the whole thing. 101 is overrated in Washington in my opinion. I like 395 too- north of Spokane it's really awesome.
State - 410 is an easy pick, but I'm also really fond of 25 and 31. The northeastern corner of Washington is hugely underrated.

Wyoming:
Interstate - 90. Passes through the most different terrain
US - ...oh man. Um. It's a tie between 14 and 287. Both are pretty neat drives. US-85 is underrated.
State- 789 is really scenic, 89 is neat because of the numbering fiasco, 130 is really scenic, but I'll go with WYO 136. If you don't hit a deer, you can go really really fast with no fear of getting a ticket.

Idaho:
Interstate: I-86 because it pisses roadgeeks off but is super important to Idaho.
US: 95, but that's more because I've spent a lot of time along most of that corridor
State: 55 is nice, but I'll go with 77. The terrain off 77 is nothing like any other part of Idaho- you don't see rolling hills like that anywhere else in the state, which makes it neat.

Overall:
Interstate- I like I-90 a lot for some reason. At some point in life I've been on all but the Sioux Falls to Madison stretch, and I really like it.
US- I haven't been on much of 6 or 36, but I really like both of those for some reason. I've lived within 150 miles of US-30 my whole life (and currently live right on it!), so I have a certain fondness for that.
State- Gotta be those northeastern Washington ones thus far. Nebraska 2 is also really neat, if only because the terrain isn't what most people would expect out of Nebraska (same with US-20 in northwest Nebraska. If you ever want your opinion of Nebraska to be turned completely on its head, drive US-20 from the Wyoming line to Chadron).

Cheesehead77

Interstate- don't have one, as they're too crowded around here.

US Hwy- US 61 from La Crosse, WI, to the Twin Cities.  Beautiful drive.

State Hwy- STH 22 in WI.  An alternative to I-39.  Beautiful scenery, and a nice, quiet road.  I go to the start at US 51 and STH 60 east of Arlington, and drive north on 22 to Montello.  I then take STH 23 west to I-39 and drive south toward home.  Makes for a nice drive when I don't want to go real far.

national highway 1

Interstates
H-3 on Oahu, Hawaii
I-15 between San Bernardino and CA 163
I-280 CA
I-40 AZ between Kingman and Flagstaff

US Routes
US 101 between San Francisco & LA
US 93 between Kingman and Las Vegas
US 395 between CA 14 & Bishop

State Highways
CA 99 between Wheeler Ridge & Sacramento
CA 14
HI 72
AZ 66
AZ Loop 101
CA 91
CA 210
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kj3400

Interstate: I-95, though I-83 is a close second
US Hwy: US 50, just because it rocks the hidden interstate (I-595) and does it well, and US 29 because it wants to be an interstate so bad but can't. My favorite US highway without a hidden interstate agenda is US 40.
State Hwy: MD 26......my avatar.....it wouldn't be there if it wasn't my favorite  :pan: MD 2 is runner up.
Other roads: MLK Blvd, and Howard St (Light Rail FTW :) )
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Ian

Shadyjay reminded me. I'll add NH 112/Kancamagus Highway to my list, as well as A-15 and A-720 in Quebec.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.