News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

US-31 between M-45 and Quincy St.

Started by jblock42, February 18, 2016, 01:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblock42

Hello all, I'm Jacob. As this is my first post on this forum, i thought it'd be a good idea to introduce myself.

I don't really know if this has been discussed before, but US-31 between Lake Michigan Dr and Quincy St (probably a little more than that too but I think that section is probably the most reasonable) could definitely be considered for one of the few divided highways here in MI with a 65 mph speed limit instead of a 55 mph one. As someone who drives on that section quite often, most people are going 65-70 anyways. And, since a freeway bypass of Ottawa county seems like it's going to be many many many years away (as well as the fact that M-231 doesn't go further south than M-45), I feel like raising the speed limit could be a reasonable compromise in the mean time. There is only one traffic signal on that section, at Port Sheldon St at least 7 miles from M-45, and it already has pretty obvious signage warning that its coming up, so I feel like that wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I feel like I can't possibly have been the only one to think of this idea as a compromise for the lack of freeway in Ottawa. Anyone else have any thoughts?
I'm still new at this whole roadgeeking thing but hey I've got a rather unorganised but pretty neato sign collection going with 29 actual highway signs which includes a state highway sign from 11/50 states so there's that

JREwing78

There's precedent for this. M-53 around Romeo has both stoplights and a 70mph speed limit. However, they had the area around stoplights reduced to 55mph.

Other states are more casual about stoplights on divided 4-lane highways; US-20 east and west of Rockford, IL is posted for 65 mph despite the presence of stoplights.

jblock42

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 20, 2016, 08:39:30 PM
There's precedent for this. M-53 around Romeo has both stoplights and a 70mph speed limit. However, they had the area around stoplights reduced to 55mph.

Other states are more casual about stoplights on divided 4-lane highways; US-20 east and west of Rockford, IL is posted for 65 mph despite the presence of stoplights.
There's also the precedent of a 65 mph speed limit on a divided highway, US-127 between St. John's and Ithaca has one and also a section of US-2/US-41 in the UP. I'm not 100% certain but I think there's one signal on the US-127 section as well. Hahah is there anyway we could get MDOT's attention and just have them begin looking into it because that section of 31 is incredibly annoying to drive
I'm still new at this whole roadgeeking thing but hey I've got a rather unorganised but pretty neato sign collection going with 29 actual highway signs which includes a state highway sign from 11/50 states so there's that

JREwing78

Quote from: jblock42 on February 21, 2016, 11:00:42 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on February 20, 2016, 08:39:30 PM

There's also the precedent of a 65 mph speed limit on a divided highway, US-127 between St. John's and Ithaca has one and also a section of US-2/US-41 in the UP. I'm not 100% certain but I think there's one signal on the US-127 section as well. Hahah is there anyway we could get MDOT's attention and just have them begin looking into it because that section of 31 is incredibly annoying to drive

The signal on US-127 is for a lightly-used railroad crossing.

The State Police has to conduct traffic studies to determine if a speed limit hike is warranted. I would be a little surprised if that has not already occurred for this stretch of US-31.

brianreynolds

MDOT put quite a bit of effort and money into upgrading that stretch of US-127 prior to the speed limit change.  The fully limited-access interchange at M-57 is the most obvious example.  They have also reworked many (most?) of the at-grade intersections, such that cross-traffic cannot cross directly.  Kind of a modified Michigan Left, turn right, U-turn, turn right, to go straight.  Other potential points of conflict have also been improved or eliminated.  Taken as a whole, the road is much safer now than it was 20 years ago.  I am not familiar enough with that portion of US-31 to know the specifics, but I can imagine a similar set of improvements might make all the difference.

JREwing78

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 27, 2016, 11:52:29 PM
MDOT put quite a bit of effort and money into upgrading that stretch of US-127 prior to the speed limit change.  The fully limited-access interchange at M-57 is the most obvious example.  They have also reworked many (most?) of the at-grade intersections, such that cross-traffic cannot cross directly.  Kind of a modified Michigan Left, turn right, U-turn, turn right, to go straight.  Other potential points of conflict have also been improved or eliminated.  Taken as a whole, the road is much safer now than it was 20 years ago.  I am not familiar enough with that portion of US-31 to know the specifics, but I can imagine a similar set of improvements might make all the difference.

In the case of that stretch of US-31, it's seen spot improvements of the nature that were done to US-127, but not over the entire length. It also has the complication of a railroad line immediately adjacent to the highway.

northernmi

Quote from: jblock42 on February 18, 2016, 01:00:48 PM

I don't really know if this has been discussed before, but US-31 between Lake Michigan Dr and Quincy St (probably a little more than that too but I think that section is probably the most reasonable) could definitely be considered for one of the few divided highways here in MI with a 65 mph speed limit instead of a 55 mph one. As someone who drives on that section quite often, most people are going 65-70 anyways.

Travel that section of US-31 often. Dumbest piece of highway in Michigan - Holland to Grand Haven. Yes that would be a good section to raise the limit to 60-65 mph.  Back in the 1970s even two lane roads were posted at 65 mph. (yeah the good old days)  The legislature is considering raising the speed limits on divided highways to 75 mph (in some sections) and also raising two lane highways to 60 mph in areas where is would be appropriate. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.