News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Horeshoe Curve on NY 17 in Wurtsboro, NY

Started by roadman65, April 29, 2011, 08:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Why is the Quickway built like this around the US 209 junction?  The highway is perfectly aligned until you hit Wurtsboro, NY and then it turns to the SW only to loop around, interchange with US 209, and head back to its original heading.  I know the toparary is mountainious with a valley where US 209 is, but what about rock cutting through mountains?  I know that Wurtsboro is not upscale enough to alter a major freeway either. 

Also, at one time there was an at grade railroad crossing on the freeway near there, that not only is unusual for a freeway, but also controlled be a traffic signal and not the standard flashing red signals on the crossbuck as stated in the MUTCD.  I do not know if it is still there, but it has to come out and be grade separated if I-86 is to arrive there.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Topography is the answer. Look at the terrain west of town. There are two ways out of the mountains, one that is the old road straight through the middle of town, and the other that NY 17 follows. Anything else would require blasting away a lot of mountainside or a tunnel.

Buummu

I like the horseshoe curve on NY 17-future I-86..

yakra

The way the road climbs diagonally up the mountain rather than straight up the side, you get the same rise over a lot more run. compare how long NY17 takes to descend from the 800' contour interval to the valley floor, vs, say, something that'd parallel Sullivan St a little bit south. You get much more sane grades.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

mightyace

^^^

Or not having to build a high, expensive bridge, etc.

For Interstate standards, there is a maximum grade normally allowed. I think it may be 3 or 4% but, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

And, yes, this road was not built as an interstate, but generally, modern road building tries to keep grades "sane".

There are, of course, exceptions.  (See I-24, Monteagle, TN)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

I want to say grades are 5% max, 6% for short distances or where necessary. Don't have the right book in front of me.

InterstateNG

Paragon of accuracy Wikipedia notes 6% is the maximum allowed.
I demand an apology.

Sykotyk

I believe 6% is the max allowed by default, but I think there's somewhere in the country with a 7% (maybe I-64 in southeast WV?). As with any mountain interstate, there can be deviations in the standards for special circumstances.

agentsteel53

why am I randomly remembering the Grapevine northbound, final descent into the Central Valley, as being 6.5%?

I've driven it so many times that the signs have lost all meaning to me, so I may be conflating the 65 mph speed limit and 6% grade.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 10:36:13 PM
I like the horseshoe curve on NY 17-future I-86..

Oh its nice, do not get me wrong!  I was just curious.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.