News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

WI 23 (Fond du Lac to Plymouth, WI) planned upgrades update

Started by mgk920, February 19, 2010, 12:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

A new supplemental draft EIS has been released for ongoing planned upgrades to WI 23 east of Fond du Lac, WI. 

See:
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_1846.html_786229440.html
and
http://www.dot.wi.gov/projects/d3/wis23/environ.htm

Also, especially see page:
"2.0 Summary of Considered Alternatives, part 2 of 2" ( http://www.dot.wi.gov/projects/d3/wis23/docs/sdeis-20p2of2.pdf - then scroll down towards the bottom)
for *new* long-range upgrade proposals for the US 151/WI 23 interchange on FdL's east side - INCLUDING a free-flow connection between US 151 to the southwest and WI 23 to the east.  Construction on upgrades to that interchange are not expected until 2030, but they will be preserving ROW for it.

A public hearing on this is scheduled for Wednesday, 2010-02-24 in FdL, exact info is on the first project website link.

I have been calling for this interchange to be a free-flow connection for as long as this proposed project has been under discussion.

I'll almost certainly be firing off suggestions on improving upon this one!  (ie, moving US 151 to follow WI 23 east of FdL (along with other related numbering changes), better frontage access and connections, etc).

:nod:

Mike

SEWIGuy

I'm assuming that they aren't all that impressed with relocating US-151 to the new route.   :-/

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on March 26, 2010, 09:26:32 PM
I'm assuming that they aren't all that impressed with relocating US-151 to the new route.   :-/
I talked with a WisDOT guy in Green Bay not long after and he did not at all discount the idea of rerouting US 151.  Its current routing NE of FdL, especially between WI 55 and east of Chilton, is not a good through routing at all and I would never recommend that a 'through' big-rig truck use it.  In fact, IMHO, I would downgrade the part between WI 57 in Chilton and WI 55 by Lake Winnebago to a county highway.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Final EIS now available for WI 23.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/d3/wis23/environ.htm

Looks like WisDOT will not be mapping a system interchange & preserving any R/W at US 151 at this time.
They feel the existing diamond interchange will be able to handle traffic sufficiently for the next 20 years.

There will be diamond interchanges at  CTH's UU and G; looks like Greenbush will also get one at CTH A.  At CTH K at the base of the Niagara Escarpment, they'll do a jughandle interchange similar to what we have at US 151 and WI 175 except there's roundabouts at the ramp terminals.  The first junction east of US 151 will also be a roundabout.

There's also some mention of utilizing Michigan Lefts on "high volume intersections" in the project limits.  The specific example of CTH P in Sheboygan County is used.  WisDOT refers to them as "J-Turns".  I'm not aware of the existence of any Michigan Lefts in Wisconsin right now.  We have plenty of right in-out junctions, but no Michigan Lefts.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

I generally agree with the conclusions of this study, such as building the four lanes on the existing ROW and holding off on the plans at US 151 and nothing in the EIS precludes further upgrades in the more distant future.  OTOH, I am not totally enamored with the idea of a few 'Michigan lefts' along the way, but I suppose that they will do until more extensive upgrades are needed and can be budgeted for.

BTW, WI 23 between FdL and Sheboygan has been one of my favorite drives in Wisconsin for a long time and yes, these four lane upgrades are needed.

Mike.

SEWIGuy

Agreed Mike.  I also agree that relocating US-151 to this highway makes the most sense.  You could even keep WI-23 on the highway as a duplex.

The current US-151 could be renumbered by extending WI-55 to Fond du Lac.  Between WI-55 and Chilton it becomes a county highway.  Between Chilton and Manitowoc, it can become an extension of WI-114.  (Which would have to be duplexed south along WI-57 for about ten miles.

merrycilantro

The original routing of WIS 55 did go down Current US 151 in Fond du Lac, I believe, as I've seen some old maps with the 55 designation on it.

I'm quite disappointed in WISDOT in the way that they built the US 151 Bypass around the City of Fond du Lac. Interchanges should have been placed, and everything built the way they're talking about building it now...in essence what it is currently is a giant 4-lane wall around Fond du Lac.

I do agree though that rerouting 151 along 23 would be a great idea, seeing as how the rest of 151 is getting 4 lane upgrades up the wazoo. Possible interstate designation in the very distant future? ...maybe. but 4 lanes thru that part of the state is definitely a nice thing.

mgk920

WI 55 originally ended in downtown Milwaukee, coming in from the northwest via Fond du Lac Ave.  Some of it became US 151, some US 45 and the rest WI 145.

Mike

merrycilantro

WIS23 deserves a US Highway designation (when it's completed), from FDL to Sheboygan, IMO, as it'll be 4 lanes and limited access (if i'm not mistaken). Some cross traffic maybe, but all in all not as much as at current. US151 from Fond du Lac to Manitowoc, really is more rural and 2 laned...why WOULDN'T they reroute it? *you'd think*...

SEWIGuy

Quote from: merrycilantro on June 06, 2012, 12:05:36 PM
WIS23 deserves a US Highway designation (when it's completed), from FDL to Sheboygan, IMO, as it'll be 4 lanes and limited access (if i'm not mistaken). Some cross traffic maybe, but all in all not as much as at current. US151 from Fond du Lac to Manitowoc, really is more rural and 2 laned...why WOULDN'T they reroute it? *you'd think*...

They won't re-route it because they don't want to deal with the confusion that results.  The general driving public does not see a difference between a USH and a WIH, so why go through the expense?  It is the same thing between LaCrosse and Eau Claire.  US-53 runs between the two, but WI-93 is the quicker route.

agentsteel53

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 06, 2012, 12:48:14 PMThe general driving public does not see a difference between a USH and a WIH, so why go through the expense?

nor does WI DOT!  :-D

I am pretty sure I have photos of state route shields for every US route in Wisconsin.

if you want to have WI-23 signed as a US route, just put up a bunch of US-23 markers and no one will blink.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

merrycilantro

Just a question here, what up with the Michigan Lefts being installed on Wis 23 just past Plymouth going to Sheboygan? I thought the whole stretch of highway was supposed to be 4 lanes and more of a freeway, unless I am mistaken...I travel that route on a biweekly basis, and it seems as though they're just slapping those down instead of building overpasses. Not so sure I agree with them, although as long as County TT has an overpass or interchange, I'll be good.

WarrenWallace

My guess would so that they save on costs since bridges and extra right-of-way are expensive.  Doing the same thing on 29 NW of Green Bay.
I hate sprawl!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.