News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

I-69 Control Cities

Started by codyg1985, October 11, 2011, 08:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

I don't know which forum this goes best in since I-69 goes through multiple regions, but I was thinking last night about what control cities I-69 would use from Indianapolis south.  Here is my guess, going southbound. The italicized cities I am not so sure would be included as a control city, but I figured I would throw them in there due to their size relative to other cities along the route.

If this topic has already been covered, then I apologize.

Indianapolis
Bloomington
Evansville
Paducah
Dyersburg
Memphis
El Dorado
Shreveport
Lufkin
Houston
Corpus Christi
Laredo
Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

I-69 won't make it to Paducah, since it will use the Purchase Parkway. I'm also not sure that Dyersburg will be used, even though it will be where I-69 meets I-155.

There's no mention of Memphis on the Purchase Parkway until you get all the way to the Tennessee state line. I suspect that will change, and that Memphis will become the control city on I-69 in Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Hmm, I wonder if Memphis will be signed on I-69/I-164 in Evansville?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

bassoon1986

I wonder about Shreveport, too. It really isn't going to touch the city limits at all. I think it will just skirt around Bossier City and Barksdale AFB and the Port. But I guess since it will cross both interstates that serve Shreveport...

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 11, 2011, 10:05:46 AM
Hmm, I wonder if Memphis will be signed on I-69/I-164 in Evansville?

If they can sign Memphis in Chicago, they can sign it in Evansville.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

Isn't northbound US 59 in Houston signed as Cleveland and southbound Victoria?  That'll likely change.

tdindy88

I personally am wondering what the control city north of Evansville will be when they finish the first three sections of the highway, will it be Crane? Or Bloomington or Indianapolis? Right now it is Petersburg that is more of a control city for the current SR 57 and not 69, but will that change when they finish the three sections.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 11, 2011, 08:57:55 AM
I don't know which forum this goes best in since I-69 goes through multiple regions, but I was thinking last night about what control cities I-69 would use from Indianapolis south.  Here is my guess, going southbound. The italicized cities I am not so sure would be included as a control city, but I figured I would throw them in there due to their size relative to other cities along the route.

If this topic has already been covered, then I apologize.

Indianapolis
Bloomington
Evansville
Paducah
Dyersburg
Memphis
El Dorado
Shreveport
Lufkin
Houston
Corpus Christi
Laredo
Harlingen/Brownsville/McAllen

Paducah is not on I-69, it's at least 20 miles off.
El Dorado has too small a population and is too close to Shreveport.
You forgot Victoria, Texas as a possible control city, it's not very large but it's certainly a hell of a lot bigger than El Dorado.  And that will be where the Laredo branch and the Harlingen / Brownsville branch will split from one another!

UptownRoadGeek

In Mississippi, southbound I-69 is signed as Tunica and northbound as Memphis.

wh15395

Speaking of I-69 in Indiana, what are they going to do with the mile markers when they finish it? Will they keep all the ones north of Indianapolis the same or have it start at 0 at the Kentucky border?

tdindy88

Quote from: wh15395 on December 06, 2011, 04:29:16 PM
Speaking of I-69 in Indiana, what are they going to do with the mile markers when they finish it? Will they keep all the ones north of Indianapolis the same or have it start at 0 at the Kentucky border?

They will start from the Kentucky border, wherever the new bridge across the Ohio River will be and count northward. There was a file that INDOT sent to AASHTO that asked for the right to refer to the new Interstate 69 as a temporary highway or something like that, I'm not sure about the official wording. The important thing was that it document said that the northern stretch of I-69 starts at what will be mile marker 184 (now Exit 0) and go north from there, ending somewhere in the 360s, with Fort Wayne in the 300 range for exit numbers. There has been no word however on when they are going to change the numbers but I'd guess it will be sooner than later if the new I-69, a significant chunk of it is slated to open toward the end of next year.

ftballfan

184 + 157 (Michigan state line) = 341

tdindy88

Okay, my bad, I was recalling an exit list that had been compiled on Wikipedia that listed the 'projected' exit numbers on the current I-69 and thought I saw 360s for the far northern section, but it may have just been the 330s instead.

exit322

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 07, 2011, 04:44:17 PM
Okay, my bad, I was recalling an exit list that had been compiled on Wikipedia that listed the 'projected' exit numbers on the current I-69 and thought I saw 360s for the far northern section, but it may have just been the 330s instead.

Could've been using an older proposed alignment that was longer in mileage.  Hard to tell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.