News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signals at interchanges

Started by Tom89t, January 06, 2012, 03:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom89t

Traffic signals at freeways interchanges  are good but, can cause problems because the two interchanges can back up traffic that is exiting on to the street. I think the SPUI interchange would work better  because there  only   one intersection to go through.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

jwolfer

Quote from: Tom89t on January 06, 2012, 03:52:11 AM
Traffic signals at freeways interchanges  are good but, can cause problems because the two interchanges can back up traffic that is exiting on to the street. I think the SPUI interchange would work better  because there  only   one intersection to go through.

depends on traffic volume. SPUIs are cool for many places there are a few around Jacksonville now

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jwolfer on January 06, 2012, 10:24:42 AM
Traffic signals at freeways interchanges  are good but, can cause problems because the two interchanges can back up traffic that is exiting on to the street. I think the SPUI interchange would work better  because there  only   one intersection to go through.

depends on traffic volume. SPUIs are cool for many places there are a few around Jacksonville now

This.

Just like any other construction project (i.e. widening), there's an evolution involved as traffic counts go up.
1. Basic diamond with stop signs.
2. Basic diamond with signals.
3. Either parclo or SPUI.

Of course, the major problem is the amount of construction require to go from #2 to #3.

roadman65

I-4 and Lee Road is a diamond with problems due to 2 separate signals.  Agree, SPUI work the best!

However major construction would be needed here.  If someone would show Orange County, FL officials how to time traffic lights, it may improve some of the problem here.  Unfortunatley, the county I live in can not figure out how to time and place signals if their own lives depended on it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Problems at a signalized diamond interchange can be greatly mitigated by proper signal timing. Specifically, implementing diamond interchange signal phasing. If done properly, there are fewer stops in the middle and, depending on the situation, might also reduce wait times on the off ramp.

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 06, 2012, 05:27:05 PM
Just like any other construction project (i.e. widening), there's an evolution involved as traffic counts go up.

The consideration of a SPUI isn't one always based primarily on traffic volumes. Many times, SPUIs are selected for the smaller right of way footprint where a traditional diamond would be less feasible or acquiring right of way would be more costly.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Multilane dumbbell interchange.   :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

intelati49

Quote from: jwolfer on January 06, 2012, 10:24:42 AM

This.

Of course, the major problem is the amount of construction require to go from #2 to #3.

Actually, MODot's DDI is a solution to the SPUI problem. Millions cheaper than building a SPUI.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: roadfro on January 07, 2012, 04:48:55 AM

The consideration of a SPUI isn't one always based primarily on traffic volumes. Many times, SPUIs are selected for the smaller right of way footprint where a traditional diamond would be less feasible or acquiring right of way would be more costly.

I'm not following you here.  What do you mean by less feasible?  The only reason I can think of that a traditional diamond would be less feasible would be if the traffic volumes were high enough to cause bottlenecks between the two ramps.

roadfro

Quote from: intelati49 on January 07, 2012, 12:22:22 PM
Actually, MODot's DDI is a solution to the SPUI problem. Millions cheaper than building a SPUI.

A Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) can be a good solution, and one of the benefits is each ramp intersection has only 2-phase signals. I'm not so sure how the DDI stacks up with other solutions for really high volume interchanges, though.

Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 07, 2012, 06:00:55 PM
Quote from: roadfro on January 07, 2012, 04:48:55 AM

I'm not following you here.  What do you mean by less feasible?  The only reason I can think of that a traditional diamond would be less feasible would be if the traffic volumes were high enough to cause bottlenecks between the two ramps.

My main thought was about right of way concerns, as there is a minimum and recommended spacing suggested between ramp terminals at diamond interchanges. If it would take too much ROW on either side to make that spacing fit, a SPUI can be an alternative.

Tighter diamonds (intersections spaced closely together) may not necessarily work well if turning volumes at the cross road are high and there is not adequate storage between the signals...in this type of case, a SPUI probably is better.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mgk920

Don't forget the option of 'dogbone' roundabouts, too.  There is an interchange here in the Appleton area (US 41/Breezewood Ln-Bell St, Interchange 129, in Neenah, WI) that was always a pain to use - it was always backing up with street traffic congestion, even during the late-night hours, with its heavy traffic and multiple major turn movements, on and off both US 41 and the two close-in frontage roads.  After its rebuilding last year, replacing those four signalized intersection with roundabouts, it's like 'where did all of that traffic go?' - it carries the same street traffic volumes, but it now drives like there is hardly any traffic at all there.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.