Supplement traffic signals in Flordia

Started by Tom89t, January 02, 2012, 02:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom89t

I read that the Unverstiy of Flordia is doing a study on supplement traffic signals, since Flordia has problems with the placement of traffic signals.

roadman65

Hope so, because Orange County, FL does not know at all how to time and place traffic signals.  Try driving John Young Parkway. At times you can get nailed at every light and I did from Deerfield Boulevard to Sand Lake Road once that adds up to 9 signals in 5 miles.

Then the signal at John Young and Clear Way is not at all needed as there is not enough traffic on Clear Way to warrant it existence.  Plus, it is less than 500 feet away from the major intersection of John Young Parkway and LB. McLeod Road.  A simple right in and right out will do as Southbound John Young Parkway can make an easy U Turn at LB. McLeod to return to this street.  Those exiting Clear Way will not suffer that much hardship to either go 1/4 mile to the first signal north to u turn to southbound John Young or use LB McLeod from the side exit of this subdivision.

Plus, those ugly square street lamps on the top of the signal poles to provide more lighting to an already lit intersection as many are erected where more than adequete lighting is already needs to not be implemented. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tradephoric

Hey roadman65,

That 5-mile stretch looks ridiculous having that many signals spaced every 2,500 feet or so apart.  Signals aren't such a nuisance when they are spaced so that you can achieve good dual coordination at standard cycle lengths; but 1/2 mile spacing isn't that distance.  Michigan Lefts at the two main intersections along this stretch of road (Central Florida Pkwy and Sand Lake Road) and superstreets for the other 7 signals would help tremendously with coordination.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

roadman65

Quote from: InterstateNG on January 07, 2012, 01:55:47 AM
What's Flordia like?

There is no uniform to the signals at all.   Many signals are not timed, especially on highways, to work with each other.  They put up far too many and not spaced out far apart.  Many malfunction where it defaults to timers and lengthy wait times for no reason.  Some of the side streets intersections create more signal changes than an intersection with two major roads.  For example: Orange Blossom Trail and Oakridge Road (that is a large arterial verses a small one being OBT the larger of the two) and Orange Blossom Trail and Sand Lake Road where both are larger major arterials that both are signalized.  Yet during peak hours its Orange Blossom Trail at Oakridge Road that has two signal changes for motorists to wait at as supposed to Sand Lake where there is usually a maximum of 1 change at the same moment.  Sand Lake Road has far more traffic on it than Oakridge Road, so its obvious that the one at Oakridge is timed wrong.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: tradephoric on January 07, 2012, 12:54:01 AM
Hey roadman65,

That 5-mile stretch looks ridiculous having that many signals spaced every 2,500 feet or so apart.  Signals aren't such a nuisance when they are spaced so that you can achieve good dual coordination at standard cycle lengths; but 1/2 mile spacing isn't that distance.  Michigan Lefts at the two main intersections along this stretch of road (Central Florida Pkwy and Sand Lake Road) and superstreets for the other 7 signals would help tremendously with coordination.

In 1990 there were only two signals from Hunters Creek Boulevard to Sand Lake Road.  JYP and Central Florida Parkway, and the other at Sand Lake Road.  It was a wide open road and a good alternative to the already busy Orange Blossom Trail then although the roadway did not exist south into Kissimmee or have the section opened from Sand Lake Road to SR 50.  Nonetheless, the development between Orlando and Kissimmee led to many signals to be installed.  Many as part of the John Young widening from 4 to 6 lanes commenced.  Orange County and the rest of Florida carelessly puts up signals and forgets that each one placed is going to create bottlenecks to come.  They need to first, time all lights to change here at the same time and secondly need to conduct regular studies to help keep up with the flow.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654673527/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654673337/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654673105/in/photostream/

This here is a signal on Southbound Orange Blossom Trail that was installed back in either September or October of 11.  For years this intersection was free flowing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzrfAlBDlSY and now it is bottleneck for real.  The street at the signal serves two stripmalls and an apartment complex.  The roadway US 17, 92, & 441 is a heavily traveled artery.  Now if this does not tell you the signals in Orange County, FL are poorly timed I do not know what is.

All three photos were at various points where I waited for the first signal change.  When I was at the end of the line, the light was red, after moving forward to the stop bar you see the light began to change.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Here is one that a pole was removed for some reason and replaced with a span wire assembly.  Not only does it not match the other mast arm assemblies elsewhere, but it is not easier to install another mast arm set up to the same bolts then it is to drive two telephone poles into the ground?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654672343/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654672531/in/photostream/lightbox/

The second photo shows the bolt assembly and foundation of the removed assembly to the left of the temporary (I bet it will still be there in 13.)pole.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on January 07, 2012, 03:32:56 PM
Here is one that a pole was removed for some reason and replaced with a span wire assembly.  Not only does it not match the other mast arm assemblies elsewhere, but it is not easier to install another mast arm set up to the same bolts then it is to drive two telephone poles into the ground?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654672343/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/6654672531/in/photostream/lightbox/

The second photo shows the bolt assembly and foundation of the removed assembly to the left of the temporary (I bet it will still be there in 13.)pole.

Perhaps there was some problem with the underground wiring and this is a "temporary" fix?

That second photo also raises the question of why the original pole was so far back from the intersection, requiring a mast arm much longer than needed. The pole on the diagonally opposite corner seems to have the same problem.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadman65

The bigger question is why does Taft- Vineland Road narrow down from four lanes to two lanes right before a major intersection with a state highway arterial. 

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Because the two-lane part was built first.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on January 08, 2012, 12:59:02 AM
The bigger question is why does Taft- Vineland Road narrow down from four lanes to two lanes right before a major intersection with a state highway arterial. 
Quote from: NE2 on January 08, 2012, 02:42:58 AM

I've seen this down around here as well.  Before IL-59 was widened, Caton Farm Rd also narrowed from four to two lanes as the intersection had not yet been rebuilt.  The county widened its sections, but had to wait on the state for the intersection.  This could be why Taft-Vineland Rd does likewise.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

Quote from: Brandon on January 08, 2012, 09:25:06 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 08, 2012, 12:59:02 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 08, 2012, 02:42:58 AM

I've seen this down around here as well.  Before IL-59 was widened, Caton Farm Rd also narrowed from four to two lanes as the intersection had not yet been rebuilt.  The county widened its sections, but had to wait on the state for the intersection.  This could be why Taft-Vineland Rd does likewise.

No the actual answer is the permit situation.  I know somebody from my church who works in the county signaling department (yes he repairs traffic lights for Orange County) and he told me this. 

My point of wonder, was why they never went all the way to the intersection when Taft- Vineland Road was widened to four lanes west of there.  The permit thing is an excuse, it would have been cheaper in the long run to do it then then wait for the next project to take place.  Plus volume traffic builds up cause of this.  They should have extended the project east of OBT and improved the intersection all at once so they have less to do when they finally widen the rest of Taft Vineland.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.