News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Question

Started by leroys73, March 08, 2016, 09:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leroys73

Quote from: vdeane on March 14, 2016, 07:32:53 PM
Quote from: leroys73 on March 14, 2016, 03:41:18 PM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on March 14, 2016, 11:29:49 AM
I don't get the attack I just got. Yes I am aware we are talking about the US highway system, I am not an idiot, and I know what a US route is.

What I was saying, although US-62 is an east-west route, if we are to be heading EAST from Texas, when we get to the last few miles in Niagara Falls, NY, we are heading WEST. That's the point I was trying to make, I would assume it's confusing for motorists, as the direction of the route would not be the same direction they travel, or worse the opposite direction they are traveling.

Similarly, with my I-290 example, it wouldn't make much since to go on US-62 West (if we were to head on Niagara Falls Blvd south) if we are heading east on I-290 and Niagara Falls Blvd/US 62 clearly interchanges it exactly perpendicular.

And just because I used an example in my home province, you seem to have played the xenophobic card on me, we are supposed to be better than that here.

WOW!  Are you ever sensitive!  I was not attacking you.  I didn't imply or say you were an idiot.  If you were an idiot you probably would be running our government.  I just did not get your answer.  You are the one insulting me.  Just because I am from the US don't start calling me names.  Who is xenophobic???  Now if you want to call names I will be glad to enter into the contest. 

As I have always said no one race, religion, country, or region has a monopoly on demonstrating their ability to be complete jerks.  That said, I also have always stated most people are good, friendly, and helpful regardless of race, religion, country, or region.

The reference to the way another country signs their highways or does their business is their business.  I don't care how they run their country.  I will respect that country's customs and laws while visiting.  That is why I enjoy visiting other countries and regions.

My question was basically why doesn't the US routes follow the east west, north south signage our US interstates do and I gave two examples.  I am sure there are many more.  If there is a two digit interstate that does not follow that "rule" I have not seen it.  Although I have traveled more than a million miles of interstates I could have missed one or two.   

I have spent many miles all across US, Canada, Mexico, and Europe both by car and motorcycle.  I have lived with the locals in my travels. 

I don't understand why you must resort to name calling just because I did not get your statement as it was not made clear to me.  I am glad all the other people from the great country of Canada are not as sensitive as you are.  Hell, even the Canadian border guards are more fun than the US border guards.       

If you were looking for an AASHTO policy or something like that as to why the systems aren't the same, that could have been more clear.  "Why does it change" can also be interpreted to mean "why does this route do that", for which an answer was given, and then a more extreme example illustrating the point was given.

In my last reply I did not say there was not an answer given.  I was responding to the name calling and over sensitivity. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

NE2

Question: why doesn't this thread have a more descriptive title?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on March 14, 2016, 11:27:17 PM
Question: why doesn't this thread have a more descriptive title?

I expected it to be a new thread for all questions.

And to see a photo of Dwight Schrute.

MisterSG1

WOW!  Are you ever sensitive!  I was not attacking you.  I didn't imply or say you were an idiot.  If you were an idiot you probably would be running our government.  I just did not get your answer.  You are the one insulting me.  Just because I am from the US don't start calling me names.  Who is xenophobic???  Now if you want to call names I will be glad to enter into the contest. 

As I have always said no one race, religion, country, or region has a monopoly on demonstrating their ability to be complete jerks.  That said, I also have always stated most people are good, friendly, and helpful regardless of race, religion, country, or region.

The reference to the way another country signs their highways or does their business is their business.  I don't care how they run their country.  I will respect that country's customs and laws while visiting.  That is why I enjoy visiting other countries and regions.

My question was basically why doesn't the US routes follow the east west, north south signage our US interstates do and I gave two examples.  I am sure there are many more.  If there is a two digit interstate that does not follow that "rule" I have not seen it.  Although I have traveled more than a million miles of interstates I could have missed one or two.   

I have spent many miles all across US, Canada, Mexico, and Europe both by car and motorcycle.  I have lived with the locals in my travels. 

I don't understand why you must resort to name calling just because I did not get your statement as it was not made clear to me.  I am glad all the other people from the great country of Canada are not as sensitive as you are.  Hell, even the Canadian border guards are more fun than the US border guards.     

Ok, I may have overreacted there, and I apologize for that. I also should have done more research on this topic as well.

It appears that I was wrong and that US62 doesn't have an East-West designation within Niagara Falls like I thought it did.

The two digit interstate that does not follow this rule is Interstate 69 between Lansing and Port Huron, it is East-West despite being a North-South interstate, I thought there could be more examples but this may be the only one.

If we look at a state by state basis, it appears that US 62 only makes sense to be signed as North-South in NY but east-west everywhere else.

Personally, I take issue when someone says that "Canada signs their roads that way", no, we don't have a central superpower in Ottawa that tells what the number of some route in Nova Scotia is going to be. Each province is totally in charge of their highway networks. You can especially notice how each province has a totally different signage convention for guide signs that is loosely based on the MUTCD conventions. That's why I got all defensive and I apologize.

leroys73

Quote from: MisterSG1 on March 15, 2016, 01:51:22 PM

Ok, I may have overreacted there, and I apologize for that. I also should have done more research on this topic as well.

It appears that I was wrong and that US62 doesn't have an East-West designation within Niagara Falls like I thought it did.

The two digit interstate that does not follow this rule is Interstate 69 between Lansing and Port Huron, it is East-West despite being a North-South interstate, I thought there could be more examples but this may be the only one.

If we look at a state by state basis, it appears that US 62 only makes sense to be signed as North-South in NY but east-west everywhere else.

Personally, I take issue when someone says that "Canada signs their roads that way", no, we don't have a central superpower in Ottawa that tells what the number of some route in Nova Scotia is going to be. Each province is totally in charge of their highway networks. You can especially notice how each province has a totally different signage convention for guide signs that is loosely based on the MUTCD conventions. That's why I got all defensive and I apologize.

You are a great Canadian and a stand up person.  Your apology is gladly accepted and thank you.  You are the kind of person I like. I understand and appreciate your position.  We just misunderstood each other.

I completely understand at times a person can get defensive if the person thinks their country was insulted, as they should.  I apologize to you for misunderstanding and taking offense.  And thank you for educating me on how Canada allows their routes to be signed. 

If you are down the Texas way send me a message.  I'd like to have coffee with you.         
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.