News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Insets on state DOT maps

Started by hobsini2, June 03, 2012, 03:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog1979

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 16, 2012, 12:26:16 AM
Bulldog, check the ones you have for Alaska, Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah.  I just wonder if some of the states changed their designs where either now or in the past more insets were used for these states. 
Like I mentioned earlier, Wisconsin back in 1983 had a lot more insets than now. I believe they changed their threshold from 10,000 to 20,000 or 25,000 during the late 80s/early 90s.  I know the 1983 edition had Marshfield, Watertown, Monroe, Menomonie, and Whitewater.  Each of those cities just disappeared from the insets page.

It would be cool to add Canada to this listing too since most atlases already include them.

I think in cases like Hawaii where there is no official state map, I think we should use what some of the atlas companies have used. Honolulu and Hilo. I have never seen any other insets for Hawaii in the atlases.

Alaska, 2007 edition, no city insets. There are descriptions with maps on the back for the state and national scenic byways
Arizona, 2010 edition from the Arizona Office of Tourism: Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, Yuma
California. 2010 Official State Map, put together by California Travel Media, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco
Nevada, 2009-10 Official Highway Map (NDOT), Lake Tahoe Region, Reno-Sparks, Las Vegas, Carson City
Utah, 2007 Official Highway Map (UDOT), "Salt Lake City, Ogden, Provo & Vicinity", St. George & Vicinity, Logan & Vicinity, "Utah's Special Highways"

bulldog1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2012, 02:41:12 PM
Quote from: Steve on June 15, 2012, 07:16:44 PM
I've also worked with NJDOT before on a large map request for a road meet. I generally try to amass my collection in 2 ways: state rest areas or road meets.

On the way to the Chicago meet I stopped at an OK travel info center and inquired about getting ten or so copies of the map to hand out. The lady behind the counter simply handed over a pile of maps, still in their packing strap, as if it were the most normal request in the world. It ended up being like 25 maps.

Somewhere I still have like ten of them floating around.

Before I went to the Baltimore meet, I went to the MDOT Transportation Service Center and asked. The lady behind that counter appreciated that I didn't take all of the maps off the counter and pulled a bundle out of the cupboard. She could also give me copies of the Truck Operator's Maps, which is only available directly through MDOT TSCs or regional offices, not the welcome centers or online request form.

roadfro

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 16, 2012, 12:26:16 AM
Bulldog, check the ones you have for Alaska, Arizona, California, Nevada, and Utah.  I just wonder if some of the states changed their designs where either now or in the past more insets were used for these states. 

Nevada's map "insets" have been the same for a number of years (since at least the last major redesign in the early 90s): Las Vegas region, Reno-Sparks region, Carson City & Lake Tahoe region.

At one time many years ago (around the 60s, I think), Ely was given an inset instead of Carson City.

I don't think NDOT has ever had more than four smaller region maps on the main map page...there may have been more on backsides, though.

Scanned copies of all of NDOT's state tourist maps (front and back) are on NDOT's website in PDF format: http://www.nevadadot.com/Traveler_Info/Maps/Historical_Maps.aspx
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hobsini2

Roadfro, thanks for the link. I looked at various years Ely did have one on the 1967 map. But I also found one for Elko on the 2002-03 map.  At least the DOT did bring back the "Interstate strips" that had been drop in the 1990s.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

tdindy88

Speaking of that, how many states have "interstate strips" (if that is the correct term) on their state maps. I know of Alabama, Mississippi and Nevada, and a few years back Tennessee. Are there others?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 17, 2012, 07:55:37 PM
Speaking of that, how many states have "interstate strips" (if that is the correct term) on their state maps. I know of Alabama, Mississippi and Nevada, and a few years back Tennessee. Are there others?

Maryland did in the 1970's, but does not currently.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

Oklahoma does not have them for Interstates in general, but there are strip maps for all the turnpikes (three of which are I-44).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Kentucky did for its interstates and parkways in the late 60s and early 70s. Kentucky also published individual maps of the parkways showing the ramp configurations at each exit and detailed toll schedules. Wish I had kept them, but they've been lost to the ravages of time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bulldog1979

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but judging on later replies, then Michigan had something similar for a few years in the 1960s. The back side of the 1965 map, for example, had one big map of the state with all of the freeways in existence at the time, with ramp configurations, and where appropriate, exit numbers. (Only I-94 had them at the time.) The connecting highways along the big map were only shown a short distance from either side of the freeways. The city insets, except for Detroit, were located next to their locations in the big map. By 1969, this format was removed in place of the standard city insets on the back as is done today.

hobsini2

This is a little off topic but still relevant. I just got the Alaska Vacation pack that said it had a map. It was terrible. No names for the road or numbers and on a 8 x 10 piece of paper.  If this is what Alaska D of Tourism think that was sufficient, they are sadly mistaken.  I wonder how bad other states d of tourism packs vs DOT maps are. I will be ordering the tourism packs for the 50 states to compare and contrast.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

I just got AZ's package which did include an official state map. Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff and Yuma have insets.  The AZ maps in the book are pretty decent quality.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Louisiana used to have these on the back of the official maps from the 1960s-1980s.

shadyjay

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 06, 2012, 07:14:03 PM
Vermont (2011)
Burlington, Newport, St. Albans, St. Johnsbury, Montpelier, Barre, Rutland, Brattleboro, Bennington, Springfield

With the latest 2012 release, all are gone, except for Burlington.  A couple "SEE INSET" texts around some of those cities remain, but no blowup map... just Burlington.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.