News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rhode Island Route 146

Started by southshore720, July 11, 2012, 01:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southshore720

RI 146 is in dire need of a signage overhaul.  There is a lot of missing signage, temporary signage, and aging signage.  They also should follow the lead of RI 10 and number the exits to the MA border.  The only new signage to date on RI 146 was the RI 116 off-ramp renovation (in which MA shield is used for 116) and a large pipe gantry setup for I-295S/Warwick and RI 99 Cumberland/Woonsocket.  **Addendum: also new signage approaching RI 146A that was included in the ARRA highway package**

On top of that, there are a lot of broken and missing light towers throughout the stretch that need attention.

And don't get me started on the "Downtown Exits" relic on the approach to the 95S merge in Providence that is both dilapidated and incorrect.  Why oh why did they keep that?  They could've dismantled it during the Phase I renovation of 146 in 1991.

roadman

What gets me about the RI 146 and RI 116 work, as well as the RI 10 re-signing project as well, is how godawful massive the new support structures are (especially the I-295 advance cantilever on 146 northbound in Lincoln).  Not sure what current AASHTO wind zone Rhode Island is in, but they sure seem like overkill to me.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

citrus

Quote from: southshore720 on July 11, 2012, 01:46:17 AM
They also should follow the lead of RI 10 and number the exits to the MA border.

RI 10 has exit numbers now...? Agreed with RI-146 signage, though what really needs to happen is bypassing that one traffic light in Lincoln(?).

Alps

southshore720

Quote from: Steve on July 12, 2012, 11:13:09 PM
Maybe he meant RI 37.
RI 10 received exit numbers during the recent sign replacement project.  Elmwood Ave is Exit 1 and it is numbered up to Westminster St.  When US 6 joins, the numbers end.  Also, the terminus at RI 12 did not receive a number.

southshore720

Quote from: roadman on July 12, 2012, 03:14:45 PM
What gets me about the RI 146 and RI 116 work, as well as the RI 10 re-signing project as well, is how godawful massive the new support structures are (especially the I-295 advance cantilever on 146 northbound in Lincoln).  Not sure what current AASHTO wind zone Rhode Island is in, but they sure seem like overkill to me.

I completely agree with you on that one!  IF 146 ever gets an update, I bet we will be seeing more of those...

Quote from: citrus on July 12, 2012, 03:51:34 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on July 11, 2012, 01:46:17 AM
They also should follow the lead of RI 10 and number the exits to the MA border.

RI 10 has exit numbers now...? Agreed with RI-146 signage, though what really needs to happen is bypassing that one traffic light in Lincoln(?).

That light bugs me to no end.  IMO, they can easily insert an interchange there and build frontage roads for the businesses in that short stretch.  However, RIDOT has no money and the likelihood of that happening anytime soon is slim to none.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.