News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interesting Cyclist Idea

Started by hobsini2, August 28, 2012, 05:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

I saw this in the Chicago Tribune online earlier today. At first I thought it was a joke but looks to be a real proposal for cyclists who commute to work.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-22/news/ct-met-kass-0822-20120822_1_city-bike-miles-of-bike-lanes-rahmfather
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

While I do not agree with the idea of cyclist tolls, I do like the idea of bicycle stickers similar to vehicle stickers and stop sign cameras to issue tickets to cyclists who blow through stop signs and signals.

And now time for the cyclist outrage....
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

agentsteel53

"Rahmfather"?

sure is written in a professional tone of voice that commands respect.

yawn for the hack columnist.  and people wonder why newspapers are dying.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hobsini2

Agent, you are not kidding with the downfall of columnists. And I also find quite often those columnists today rehash old columns and present them as new. It is sad.

myosh_tino

Hobsini2,

My sarcasm detector is not working properly :banghead: so I have to ask...  Is the plan outlined in the column (tolls, stickers, stop-sign-cameras and parking fees) a real plan that's working its way though Chicago city hall?

Part of me says this is some columnists way of attracting attention to his newspaper but part of me wonder if Chicago is that cash-strapped to the point where something like that plan is feasible?

San Francisco recently considered tolling every single vehicle entering and leaving the city either using FasTrak (ETC) or by photo.  The plan died a quick death when neighboring cities protested and some even went as far as proposing to charge all S.F. residents a toll for entering neighboring San Mateo county.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 28, 2012, 06:05:01 PM
San Francisco recently considered tolling every single vehicle entering and leaving the city either using FasTrak (ETC) or by photo.  The plan died a quick death when neighboring cities protested and some even went as far as proposing to charge all S.F. residents a toll for entering neighboring San Mateo county.

Across the pond in the EU, London, England and Stockholm, Sweden have been tolling very nearly all vehicles entering the core part of their metropolitan areas for some years now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hobsini2

myosh, at this point, I think it is just a columnist who is trying to shock jock us. However, city hall is really strapped for cash so as crazy as some of the ideas sound, it could be possibly implemented if a couple city alderman or the mayor want to act on it.  A couple of years ago, the city council sold the city's parking meters to a private company for a lump some of cash. That company almost as quickly as it acquired the meters doubled the prices.

KEK Inc.

It will be interesting how liberals would react to this.  If this was Portland, they would support this for cars, but throw riots if this was also implemented on cyclists.
Take the road less traveled.

NE2

Liberals will riot. That's all they do anyway.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on August 28, 2012, 06:53:22 PM
You're not helping your cause by making comments like that.  :-/
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NE2

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 28, 2012, 07:00:17 PM
What cause? Getting dumb threads like this locked?

myosh_tino

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 28, 2012, 06:39:32 PM
myosh, at this point, I think it is just a columnist who is trying to shock jock us. However, city hall is really strapped for cash so as crazy as some of the ideas sound, it could be possibly implemented if a couple city alderman or the mayor want to act on it.
My initial reaction was it was a columnist seeking attention. So maybe my sarcasm meter isn't as broken as I think it is...  :-D 

Zmapper

A big problem with bike tolls and license plates is how tourists who bring their own bikes are supposed to follow the law. Say that I wish to visit a city with a license requirement as a tourist, and bring my personal bicycle to ride around while I am there. How am I supposed to receive approval from the city government when I may only be spending a few days there?

Scott5114

Quote from: Zmapper on August 28, 2012, 09:47:50 PM
A big problem with bike tolls and license plates is how tourists who bring their own bikes are supposed to follow the law. Say that I wish to visit a city with a license requirement as a tourist, and bring my personal bicycle to ride around while I am there. How am I supposed to receive approval from the city government when I may only be spending a few days there?

Purchase a day pass?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadsguy

Though I favor the STOP sign cameras (I see bikers blow through red lights all the time), I don't like the bike tolls, but maybe they could turn stand-alone bike paths into toll roads for bikes. :bigass:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

Dunno how feasible that'd be–I'm sure evasion would be rampant. It's a lot easier to lift a bike over a toll gate than it is a car.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 28, 2012, 06:17:43 PMAcross the pond in the EU, London, England and Stockholm, Sweden have been tolling very nearly all vehicles entering the core part of their metropolitan areas for some years now.
Except for, of course, in the London area few vehicles actually having to pay the charge, especially the full charge - the price has doubled just to cover costs, which have decreased. Electric and very-low emission vehicles pay nothing, taxis pay nothing, buses pay nothing, pedestrians (OK, not a vehicle) pay nothing, trains pay nothing (though obviously aren't on the streets), cyclists pay nothing, diplomatic vehicles refuse to pay saying it's a tax not a toll (court cases still raging on), residents pay 10% (though that is payment), motorbikes pay less too. I reckon 1% of vehicles on the street in the zone over the course of a week day had to, and did, pay the full amount. Perhaps another 15% paid a discounted amount - leaving 74% exempt (not counting trains, electric assisted pedal bikes) - mostly buses and taxis.

Oh, and congestion on the boundary has increased, and it hasn't really decreased within the zone (in part due to the extra buses added as a carrot to the charge's stick - and given that buses caused the congestion in the first place...). London also removed the western extension of the zone, as it was very silly - include a large and mostly wealthy area in the zone, meaning that they pay £1 instead of £10 to drive in the centre thanks to the resident discount.

A San Francisco Congestion Charge might work - given that it's the tip of a peninsular (the I-80 US101 freeway would have to be free though and perhaps former route 480, to link with the Golden Gate - or you just make the Golden Gate 'free', but leading inescapably to the charge zone) - if you don't want to go there, you can almost totally avoid it.

I was going to comment on the stupidity of bike tolls, but I decided that we weren't fucking morons here and could see how absurd such a suggestion was. I can't think of a toll road that charges for pedal bikes - the Itchen Bridge in Southampton even has (rather narrow) bike lanes that pass around the booths so you don't even have to stop at the barrier.

Special K

Quote from: NE2 on August 28, 2012, 07:00:41 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on August 28, 2012, 07:00:17 PM
What cause? Getting dumb threads like this locked?

Try harder.

NE2

Alps

This is a country that needs to encourage responsible bike use. That means a) no disincentives to riding and b) serious disincentives to improper riding. Going through traffic control should be the same ticket for a bicycle as a car, unless you dismount and walk. I've heard of maximum speeds being enforced for bikes - especially in limits under 25 mph.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.