Chinese restaurant closed for serving I-75 roadkill

Started by Lyon Wonder, October 02, 2012, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on October 03, 2012, 06:01:04 PM
My issue then is that I'm grossed out by the idea of eating a wild animal regardless of how it got killed. I have this crazy thing where I feel like food needs to be industrially raised and processed in order to be fit for human consumption.

Rabbit and squirrel are eaten by many around here. I've tried both, in my youth, and was not impressed.

Squirrel brains and scrambled eggs are considered a delicacy in these parts. My mom would not fix them for my dad, and I suspect she would not allow them to be fixed in the house, so he had his mother fix them for him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on October 03, 2012, 10:52:46 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 03, 2012, 06:01:04 PM
My issue then is that I'm grossed out by the idea of eating a wild animal regardless of how it got killed. I have this crazy thing where I feel like food needs to be industrially raised and processed in order to be fit for human consumption.

Rabbit and squirrel are eaten by many around here. I've tried both, in my youth, and was not impressed.

Squirrel brains and scrambled eggs are considered a delicacy in these parts. My mom would not fix them for my dad, and I suspect she would not allow them to be fixed in the house, so he had his mother fix them for him.

Rabbit makes for really good stew, but I know I've had it prepared another way at a Spanish tapas restaurant.  Squirrel is a pretty good snack, but I've never had enough of it to speak of it as a meal.  I'm not sure I'd want to try a roadkill squirrel....I mean, what's left?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

I've had raindeer and moose, smoked raindeer is very good, and moose steak isn't bad.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 04, 2012, 02:41:18 PM
I've had raindeer and moose, smoked raindeer is very good, and moose steak isn't bad.
r(e)in

I've had both, and find them all similar to caribou in the end. Big antlered game has a deep woodsy taste that is much richer than beef. I love that flavor that most may describe as "gamey," but to me it's loaded with <i>umami</i>. Moose is best served in a stew or similar, to allow the mature meat time to break down and soften. (Similar to preparations of mutton.)

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on October 04, 2012, 01:45:12 PMI'm not sure I'd want to try a roadkill squirrel....I mean, what's left?

Many years ago, my brother borrowed one of the vehicles I had at the time (a true piece of 1984 Camaro Z-28) because his was in the shop. A huge fox squirrel ran out in the road in front of him. He ran directly over it with the body of the car, and nothing made impact. The wind off the low-slung car killed the squirrel. When he saw this, he turned around and picked up the deceased squirrel and threw it in the back seat of the car, and took it home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.