News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wikipedia and jargon

Started by bugo, November 30, 2012, 04:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Why does Wikipedia use jargon that the average person might not know the meaning of?  For example, Wikipedia uses the term "neonates."  I know what it means, but Joe Sixpack would probably be more familiar with the term "newborns."  Wikipedia needs to be accessible to the average person, not filled with fairly obscure words.  What is the justification for using jargon?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

1995hoo

QuoteBy posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

What's not allowed:

Any questions about other websites. If you have a question about another website for forum, post it on their forum or contact them directly.

bugo

"Off-Topic:  Not directly road related, just anything else."

anything else.

Some members of this forum are wikipedia editors.  I thought this was as good of a place as any to ask the question.

1995hoo

QuoteBy posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

What's not allowed: [Not: "What's not allowed except in the Off-Topic section."]

Any questions about other websites. If you have a question about another website for forum, post it on their forum or contact them directly.

IIRC, the moderators have shut down political discussions as being outside the lines even when they showed up in "Off-Topic." That means "anything else" doesn't literally mean "anything."

Quote from: bugo on November 30, 2012, 04:54:27 PM
.... I thought this was as good of a place as any to ask the question.

Sounds about as likely as $100 bills falling out of my arse when I take a dump.

Alps

Mod hat on: I think if you wanted to have a discussion of ROAD jargon used on other websites (and not necessarily one specific one), we would have no problem, but yes, this is clearly outside the forum guidelines. Feel free to start a new topic as per the above direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.