News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Moore Tornado

Started by rte66man, May 21, 2013, 08:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: Zmapper on June 02, 2013, 10:44:29 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2013, 09:06:18 PM
We have the most diverse terrain per square mile in the country.
Do you work for the local Chamber of Commerce? :P

I'm just repeating what I heard on TV.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 03, 2013, 02:45:02 AM
Oklahoma's great if you can tolerate the weather, the politics, and country music.

I personally find the weather the easiest to deal with.  :-D

It depends on your definition of "country music".

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on June 03, 2013, 08:39:51 AM
Quote from: US71 on June 03, 2013, 04:07:34 AM
Quote from: Zmapper on June 02, 2013, 10:44:29 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2013, 09:06:18 PM
We have the most diverse terrain per square mile in the country.
Do you work for the local Chamber of Commerce? :P
He should work for one of the Info Centers ;)

I've lived in Oklahoma most of my adult life and don't want to live anywhere else.  I've traveled to about 35 states and 20 other countries and always look forward to getting home.  Will Rogers once said, "If you don't like the weather in OK, just wait 15 minutes, it will change.  @Scott, I happen to LOVE country music.

rte66man

I like some country.  Real country, not Nashville hat acts.  I like old country and alt-country.  Johnny Cash was the man.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on June 03, 2013, 09:06:34 AMNashville hat acts

I think Hank III had a great descriptor that rhymed with Nashville.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Will Rogers once said, "If you don't like the weather in OK, just wait 15 minutes, it will change.

Everybody says that about wherever they live.  It seems to cover most of the United States.  They even say it in other countries.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2013, 01:40:18 PM
Will Rogers once said, "If you don't like the weather in OK, just wait 15 minutes, it will change.

Everybody says that about wherever they live.  It seems to cover most of the United States.  They even say it in other countries.

That is true, but especially in Oklahoma.  We have everything from F5 tornadoes to 115+ degree heat to ice storms to blizzards to 0 degree winter nights to thunderstorms to tropical storm remnants to nice 55 degree days.  We also get earthquakes.  And the wind is always blowing.  We get a little of just about everything except for coastal weather like hurricanes and noreasters.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on June 03, 2013, 07:46:58 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2013, 01:40:18 PM

That is true, but especially in Oklahoma.  We have everything from F5 tornadoes to 115+ degree heat to ice storms to blizzards to 0 degree winter nights to thunderstorms to tropical storm remnants to nice 55 degree days.  We also get earthquakes.  And the wind is always blowing.  We get a little of just about everything except for coastal weather like hurricanes and noreasters.

But you don't really get 115+ degree heat in the same day or even week as ice storms.  Truth be told, you actually need to head quite a bit farther north to find the really crazy fluctuations.

Granville, ND:  83° rise in 12 hours (2/21/1918)
Fort Assiniboine, MT:  42° rise in 15 minutes (1/19/1892)
Kipp, MT:  30 inches of snow disappeared in half a day (12/1/1896)
Loma, MT:  103° rise in 24 hours (1/14/1972 to 1/15/1972)
Great Falls, MT:  47° rise in 7 minutes (1/11/1980)
Spearfish, SD:  49° rise in 2 minutes (1/22/1943)

Browning, MT:  100° drop in 24 hours (1/23/1916 to 1/24/1916)
Fairfield, MT:  84° drop in 12 hours (12/24/1924)
Rapid City, SD:  75° drop in 2 hours (11/10/1911)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on June 03, 2013, 08:30:28 PM
Spearfish, SD:  49° rise in 2 minutes (1/22/1943)
Rapid City, SD:  75° drop in 2 hours (11/10/1911)
these two are very close to each other.

more info here:
http://www.blackhillsweather.com/chinook.html
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

We sometimes have 40-50 degree drops in 24 hours.  It goes from jacket/heater weather to shorts/air conditioning weather in one day quite often.  Yesterday when I got off at 7 am, it was almost chilly, in the 50s.  When I left at 12:30 pm, it was hot and my car felt like an oven, with temps in the upper 80s.  This is typical for Oklahoma.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on June 04, 2013, 05:06:34 AM
We sometimes have 40-50 degree drops in 24 hours.  It goes from jacket/heater weather to shorts/air conditioning weather in one day quite often.  Yesterday when I got off at 7 am, it was almost chilly, in the 50s.  When I left at 12:30 pm, it was hot and my car felt like an oven, with temps in the upper 80s.  This is typical for Oklahoma.

It's also typical for a great many desert locations.
Male pronouns, please.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on June 04, 2013, 02:41:37 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 04, 2013, 05:06:34 AM

It's also typical for a great many desert locations.

The record temp variance in 24 hours in OK is 83 degrees dropping to 11 degrees.  On 11/11/11 no less.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

kphoger

It happens, yes.  But, in all the stats I looked up, I only recall seeing Oklahoma pop up once.
Male pronouns, please.

Sonic99

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 02, 2013, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: rte66man on June 01, 2013, 05:38:31 PM
I have to admit, I was entertained by all the idiots who were driving through high water and got stuck.  News9 had a crew at SW27th and May (RR underpass) and saw at least 3 SUV's flood out thinking they could get through even though there was a van that had water up to its doors already stuck.

rte66man

Apparently KFOR meteorologist Mike Morgan told people on air to try to outrun the storm by heading south. Their Facebook page is taking a beating because of it. I'm sure that a significant amount of the people who got their cars flooded out wouldn't have been out and about had Morgan not made that boneheaded comment.

I was watching the live stream as I have family in the OKC area and absolutely could not believe what he was telling people. In fact, going south is what killed storm chaser Tim Samaras, his son, and co-worker.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Scott5114

Sad news: Looks like ODOT (or whoever) decided to go ahead and demolist the rest of the Newcastle Bridge. There was only one span still standing when I went by there today.

Traffic is still balling up in Moore.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2013, 10:49:39 PM
Sad news: Looks like ODOT (or whoever) decided to go ahead and demolist the rest of the Newcastle Bridge. There was only one span still standing when I went by there today.

Traffic is still balling up in Moore.
What of the gas line?

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 13, 2013, 10:49:39 PM

I will try to get out there tomorrow morning and get some pics of whatever's left.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.